Slight vibration through steering wheel on WOT

PooM

Hi there

This only recent, when on WOT I seem to get a very slight vibration through the steering wheel.

I'm thinking it could be wheel balancing, however I had the front tyres replaced very recently but the rears haven't been changed since I bought the car, not sure if the rears would cause it as I'm not sure how vibrations would come through the steering wheel. Also the tracking has been done recently too.

The only other thing I could think of is a bent driveshaft, however I have had that before on my EK Civic and it was undrivable and got worse the faster you went. This isn't affected by speed, only putting power down. I could sit at 80mph and let off the throttle and it would be fine.

Any ideas?

Cheers :)

PooM

Just a thought, I also have Energy Engine Mount inserts, could be this? However, saying this I never noticed it before :?

PooM

It's only on WOT, it's not speed dependent. You could be pulling off the traffic lights full throttle and you will get slight vibration through the steering wheel.

PooM

Right it's getting worse now, the symptoms have changed..

I have now noticed that the vibration is going through the whole car, myself and all passengers can feel it.

You feel it most when in low rpm in a higher gear, for example if im in 5th doing 60-70mph and put my foot down it feels like a wobble vibration through the seat.

We have checked the wheels to make sure its not a bearing, but they are all solid. The only thing we noticed is that the rear passenger disc sounds like its warped, as it rubs in one spot when you spin the wheel freely, not sure why though as the discs and pads were replaced late last year.

Not sure what else it could be really? Any ideas?

David Fox

Advanced Member
Right it's getting worse now, the symptoms have changed..

I have now noticed that the vibration is going through the whole car, myself and all passengers can feel it.

You feel it most when in low rpm in a higher gear, for example if im in 5th doing 60-70mph and put my foot down it feels like a wobble vibration through the seat.

We have checked the wheels to make sure its not a bearing, but they are all solid. The only thing we noticed is that the rear passenger disc sounds like its warped, as it rubs in one spot when you spin the wheel freely, not sure why though as the discs and pads were replaced late last year.

Not sure what else it could be really? Any ideas?
What does WOT stand for?

My car does this as well, with the symptoms you have descibed, I am hoping it is down to a wheel balance. I will let you know when I return home this weekend and see if the car has improved after having its overhaul on the wheels.

PooM

What does WOT stand for?

My car does this as well, with the symptoms you have descibed, I am hoping it is down to a wheel balance. I will let you know when I return home this weekend and see if the car has improved after having its overhaul on the wheels.
Thanks mate, let me know! :)

NiCkO

Advanced Member
this could be a number of things bearing on its way out, an out of shape tyre witch even if there are balanced wouldnt realy help, track rod end on there way out, top mounts worn but id say one of the first 3 i said IMO. nicko

PooM

Think I sorted the issue. I had the suspension set harder at the front than the rear (like a lot harder). I stiffened up the front and rear, and all seems to be fine now. Does uneven dampening sound like it could be the cause? Or have I just minimized it somehow?

David Fox

Advanced Member
Was it very slight, through the car. Literally can barely feel it?
Mine was cured as it was a loss of a weight on one of the wheels. Car is smooth and there is no vibration whatsoever through the wheel. Sorry took so long to inform you, but not been home for 2 months.

PooM

Just so you know guys, it turned out to be the coilpacks were on their way out. The vibration we think was caused when in higher load gears (4th, 5th and 6th). The coilpacks were producing enough spark and causing slight engine vibration. - No more issues when we replaced them. :)

With the energy suspension engine mount inserts you are going to get feedback from the engine anyway. The coilpacks just made it worse and more noticeable.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mbeutd