slight wobble between 70 - 80

Lcr Dave

hi guys wonder if anyone can help, ive got a slight wobble coming from the front of the car between 70 and 80 mph (private road) now at first i thought wheel balancing but that didnt cure it, then i thought maybe an out of shape tyre so changed the fronts, and still the same, it seems worse if im accelerating rather than gradually reaching that speed, i just havent got a clue now, m.o.t was only a few weeks ago so i dont think its a ball joint but im only guessing now, do you think if geometry was out it would cause this? it seems to go about 90 - 100 but not sure if it actually goes or i just cant feel it as well, its got tein flex coilovers all round if that helps, someone also mentioned to me that the drive shafts have weights on them and one might have shifted slightly but he was only guessing, any thoughts would be appreciated
Dave

raz786

Advanced Member
I would have the geometry tested just to check it, but could you elaborate on the "wobble?"

Lcr Dave

lol ill try to elaborate, it feels like the front of the car is wobbling you could call it shaking to i guess, i can feel it through the steering wheel and if you accelerate hard you can feel it on the whole car as well as the steering wheel shaking it my hand by maybe 5mm each way.
I had a loose ring nut on my os shock not sure what the nuts are called but it was the bottom one of 3, the top one adjusts spring hieght i think the second one locks the top one in place, and the bottom/third one pull the shock onto the hub i think, well it was the bottom one that was loose and i mean well loose, when i had tyres on the front changed they could move the front wheel from side to side about 2 inches, they did it up for me by tapping it round as they didnt have a spanner to fit it, so i thought oh well that was the wobble problem, at first i thought i had cured it but i think with the shock loose it just made it more apparent, ive checked wheel bearings and visually looked at the other joints ect but im not a mechanic! when looking at the shocks there is more thread on one shock body showing that the other shock but im not sure if the have to be identical, its got tein coilovers, hope this helps abit!
Dave

raz786

Advanced Member
:? :? Do u mean there was play in the wheel as in the hub was loose? Whatever the nut was I think you should get someone to tighten it properly with the correct tool incase its faulty and come loose again. DC5's in general do pull left and right when accelerating harshly, if TGM is anywhere near you it may be worthwhile letting Tom drive it and make the necessary checks. Sorry can't more help, pretty useless mechanic myself :lol: :lol:

Raz

Lcr Dave

yeah i think thats what was loose well it could move to a certain extent anyway, ive spoke to tom and he said he is more than happy to have a look at it for me, i live 2 hours away though so ideally id like him to look and fault find and also repair while i was there which isnt very likely :( but i dont think thats wobble related now unless its buggered up a bush or something while it was loose, :?:

Lcr Dave

hi guys a quick upate for anyone who may be interested, its turned up to be the drivers side drive shaft,
thanks for the replies i got,
Dave