sluggish acceleration below vtec

sjb_r

I picked up my DC5 at the weekend with half a tank of a 97ron fuel.

Car was fine (amazing in fact) & pulled cleanly below vtec.

I've since filled up twice with v-power & now below vtec the throttle response is hesitant & acceleration initially sluggish but then it starts to pick up nicely towards 6k & then it hits vtec & all is good.

Just wondered if this would be to do with the fuel as the car is mapped to run on 97ron fuel.

Both the oil & coolant levels are fine.

Anyone with similar experiences or advice. Thanks

12T

Advanced Member
wat u mean by hesitant? the car choking or just not pulling away?

sjb_r

yeah sort of, you press the throttle say half way & the engine feels strangled/breathless for a second or 2 & then starts to pick up as usual.

Not the instant throttle response & acceleration that it had a few days ago.

sjb_r

yeah sort of, you press the throttle say half way & the engine feels strangled/breathless for a second or 2 & then starts to pick up as usual.

Not the instant throttle response & acceleration that it had a few days ago.

Ken A

Advanced Member
Does it have an induction kit fitted ?If so, and its a short ram it could be heatsoak..ie hot air being sucked in causing it to be sluggish in low revs.

Have you checked the air filter ?? Could be mank !

sjb_r

No induction kit on mine its standard.

Now ive had chance to search for similar topics i noticed mikegsi & Porchy had the same issue after using v-power.

Any word on whether the fuel is to blame, can't see why it would be but then I know nothing about cars?

12T

Advanced Member
Does this feel like a big problem?
Im thinking its not a big deal and prob u need to get used to the car when my car was standard in low down revs it was slow but when u get near 6000rpm or over its fast so it might be what gear u pull off in also.
Vtec engines dont have the low down grunt but in high revs :evil: its quick.
Also remember when the car is started from cold it is more responsive as u drive and the engine gets warm and feels slower, due to heat soak? i dont know :)
If it is a problem like mikegsi car then i sugest you should get it checked out. Car under warranty? take it back to the dealers and tell them to sort out the prob

Dibz.dc5

i dont see how the throttle housing could be the problem if the problem has only occured over a couple of days...?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Thought I'd locate an old thread and post on here.

I noticed for the first time this morning that my idle went a bit funny, was sat at the lowest revs fine and then the idle dropped as though it was going to cut off but it didn't and it settled itself with a little blip of the pedal.

As I went further up the road I accelerated up a long straight from low revs in 3rd gear and it was really hesitant and sluggish, almost like the power wasn't there, like a flat spot and then it went off as normal and once into VTEC it was fine.

It's never done that before in the 3 or so years I've owned the car. I don't want to go messing around with IACV and things as from what I've read cleaning them and the throttle body actually makes it worse.

The car is being run purely on V power as well if that's any help. Bog standard engine and intake.

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
When was the last time you drove it before it happened? Sitting for a while? Hot weather and in traffic?

Maybe an enthusiastic drive would help clear things out? Or do you have an OBD reader?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
TonksyDC5 said:
When was the last time you drove it before it happened? Sitting for a while? Hot weather and in traffic?

Maybe an enthusiastic drive would help clear things out? Or do you have an OBD reader?

Last drove it yesterday, it's been driven every day this week as I've been off most of the week and I've done a fair few miles in it so it's not like it's been sat around.

It's a warm day but bar the occasional stop start in town I've not been stuck in any traffic no. I've caned it most of the week and it's been in VTEC a lot so again it can't be that.

I don't have an OBD reader I'm afraid. I will take it out again tomorrow and see if it plays up again. It may just be a one off you know bud.

Thanks.

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
Checked your intake hose for a split Marc?
Good shout. When i had the GM installed my intake hose had a huge split in it.

How was the fuel, low? Hope it was only VPower ;)

As you say, probably a one off.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
Checked your intake hose for a split Marc?
I haven't no, I will have a look.

I'm sure it's all Samco hoses I have on mine and they all look fine but I will check it, thank you.

As for fuel Tonksy, it's just over half a tank and V power.

Thanks for your help.

matt_hodgson

Hi Crazylegs

Your quote "accelerated up a long straight from low revs in 3rd gear and it was really hesitant and sluggish, almost like the power wasn't there, like a flat spot and then it went off as normal and once into VTEC it was fine." is a great description of issue I'm having with mine. I described it as a bogging down problem and started a thread with the same title a while ago. Mine is also stock but tickover is however fine. The issue is intermittent but happens enough that I can't put up with it.

I've given up trying to diagnose it myself and have booked the car into TGM next week for diagnostics - will let you know the outcome.

Cheers
Matt

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hi guys, just realised I hadn't responded to this, my apologies. I'm in bed now so I'll reply tomorrow. Cheers.