Smaller Number Plates??

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
Hi there,

I'm after a little help with regards to purchasing a replacement front number plate...

I have been on contact with a few suppliers now and none of them seem to be able to supply me with what i need or what i can 'legally' go down to? I have had stick on plates in the past but as i'm getting the front sprayed i would like a rigid plastic plate and would like it magnetically mounted for easy removal.

What i'm ideally after is the following:

1. the height of each character can be 64mm
2. the width of each character can be 44mm
3. the width of every part of the stroke must be 10mm
4. the spacing between any 2 characters must be 10mm
5. the spacing between the bottom/top of the character and the bottom/top of the number plate must be 11mm
6. the spacing between the start/end character and the start of end of the plate must be 11mm

Overall dimensions being:-

- 86mm high
- 282mm wide

Any help with suppliers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Carl.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I suppose if this is one of the smaller plates company's supply i may have to go for it; do you know if anyone has got this size plate and if they're a good fit?

Cheers,
Carl.
Hi mate yeah one guy I know is running it, not on here much but asked for a pic as I am considering one also as I hardly use the car and so its mainly from track and back etc. Have you considered Wocka's sticky plates, I brought some last year and they are really good looking (although never fitted) they look nice and I was tempted to go that way, but track pics look better with no plate :)

As soon as I get pics form him of it fitted I will pm you them

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Hi mate yeah one guy I know is running it, not on here much but asked for a pic as I am considering one also as I hardly use the car and so its mainly from track and back etc. Have you considered Wocka's sticky plates, I brought some last year and they are really good looking (although never fitted) they look nice and I was tempted to go that way, but track pics look better with no plate :)

As soon as I get pics form him of it fitted I will pm you them
Ah brilliant - hopefully he'll get you a pic sorted. I did originally have a sticky plate on but as I'm getting the front sprayed up and want the option of removing the plate i'm going to use magnets so sticky plates are out of the question.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Ah brilliant - hopefully he'll get you a pic sorted. I did originally have a sticky plate on but as I'm getting the front sprayed up and want the option of removing the plate i'm going to use magnets so sticky plates are out of the question.
Other option is the beatrush plate re-locator that I have on my car mate

Mattz

Advanced Member
I was running the small plate from staticplates and last weekend got pulled for it. £100 fine later and I've just had to order the 'short' variant. Depends on what the police are like in your area but I only had mine on 2 weeks and then got fined for it without even a warning.

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
Mattz said:
I was running the small plate from staticplates and last weekend got pulled for it. £100 fine later and I've just had to order the 'short' variant. Depends on what the police are like in your area but I only had mine on 2 weeks and then got fined for it without even a warning.
what are the dimensions of your plate that you got pulled with, spacing between characters etc?

Mattz

Advanced Member
carlos7777777 said:
what are the dimensions of your plate that you got pulled with, spacing between characters etc?
It was the 330mm x 90mm plate that is sold on www.staticplates.com. I'm surprised they didn't put me in a cell and confiscate my car, they flew after me with the sirens on to pull me because the diameter of some letters and numbers on a car was too small... :xyes:

There's a photo on my build thread with the plate fitted if you're interested in what it looks like.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Sorry to hear this mate, are the letters not correct size and space then? are you getting another from Static plates and if so which one or what's the replacement and how/where will that fit?

Update:

Just seen on their site " Short plates are made at standard height (111mm) but we remove the excess from each end to leave a 15mm border all around. So overall length is determind by how many digits you have in your registration, eg 7 digits will make a plate around 470mm - but a 5 digit will only be around 350mm."

So where will this be placed? Maybe on the bonnet ?, I assume this is too big for the normal sticky place location.

Mattz

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Sorry to hear this mate, are the letters not correct size and space then? are you getting another from Static plates and if so which one or what's the replacement and how/where will that fit?

Update:

Just seen on their site " Short plates are made at standard height (111mm) but we remove the excess from each end to leave a 15mm border all around. So overall length is determind by how many digits you have in your registration, eg 7 digits will make a plate around 470mm - but a 5 digit will only be around 350mm."

So where will this be placed? Maybe on the bonnet ?, I assume this is too big for the normal sticky place location.
The letters are noticeably much smaller on the 'small' plate, I'm not sure exactly how much smaller than the standard 'legal' size. I'm hoping to just fit the short one on the front bumper somewhere, I think the facelift front has a bigger 'flat' area to fit the plate but I'll find out when it gets here in a few days. I can send you a picture when I fit it if you want?

I didn't think the small plate was 'taking the piss' really as I could easily read it still, but the lovely policeman I spoke to thought otherwise :)

p1tse

Advanced Member
My sticky is currently 380 x 75 and fits in the centre neatly on a PFL

May try a custom static plate of similar size and hope it fits in the middle with the crease

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
Mattz said:
The letters are noticeably much smaller on the 'small' plate, I'm not sure exactly how much smaller than the standard 'legal' size. I'm hoping to just fit the short one on the front bumper somewhere, I think the facelift front has a bigger 'flat' area to fit the plate but I'll find out when it gets here in a few days. I can send you a picture when I fit it if you want?

I didn't think the small plate was 'taking the urine' really as I could easily read it still, but the lovely policeman I spoke to thought otherwise :)
As long as the following is complied with you should be fine:-

• each character in the registration number must be 64mm high
the width of each character of the number, other than the letter 'I' and the figure '1' must be 44mm

• the width of every part of the stroke forming a character in a number must be 10mm
the spacing between any two characters within a group must be 10mm

• the vertical spacing between groups of characters must be 5mm

• the width of a margin between the number and the top and lateral sides of the numberplate must be not less than 5mm

• the space between the bottom of the number/character and the bottom of the plate must not be less than 13mm, but within that space, the space between the bottom of the number and the top of the name and postcode of the person the plate was supplied must not be less than 5mm.

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Wonder if the Static Plate (small) meets this criteria?

Anyone know
well I've just measured it out and believe a 90H x 286 should be legal; which includes the name and postcode of the supplier. However this doesn't include the spacing between the first set and second set of numbers which segregates the location and year to the random numbers eg: XX02 (Space) XXX

With regards to dateless plates I'm not sure if you have to comply with the spacing so I've just gone for XXXXX with the 10mm spacing between all characters giving me overall dimensions of 90H x 286W

90H coming from 13mm top space, 64mm character height, 13mm bottom space.

286 coming from 13mm side space x 2, 44mm characters width x 5, 10mm between character spacing x 4

I could have 'legally' gone slightly smaller than this but wanted an even space around the whole plate so have gone for 13mm all round. I could have gone for 5mm spacing on the top and sides though...

carl hammond

Advanced Member
carlos7777777 said:
well I've just measured it out and believe a 90H x 286 should be legal; which includes the name and postcode of the supplier. However this doesn't include the spacing between the first set and second set of numbers which segregates the location and year to the random numbers eg: XX02 (Space) XXX

With regards to dateless plates I'm not sure if you have to comply with the spacing so I've just gone for XXXXX with the 10mm spacing between all characters giving me overall dimensions of 90H x 286W

90H coming from 13mm top space, 64mm character height, 13mm bottom space.

286 coming from 13mm side space x 2, 44mm characters width x 5, 10mm between character spacing x 4

I could have 'legally' gone slightly smaller than this but wanted an even space around the whole plate so have gone for 13mm all round. I could have gone for 5mm spacing on the top and sides though...
Sounds good, did you order it from the website I provided? would be nice to see this when it arrives, or is it a Static plates order?

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
I did have a look and left a message asking if their static plates are rigid plastic but they haven't got back to met yet - the front alone is also £25!

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I did have a look and left a message asking if their static plates are rigid plastic but they haven't got back to met yet - the front alone is also £25!
Ok cool mate - did you get one from www.myshowplates.com then ? That's who supplied my current ones (front and rear)

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Ok cool mate - did you get one from www.myshowplates.com then ? That's who supplied my current ones (front and rear)
Oh sorry no i havn't purchased it yet. I've jus re-read my earlier post and comes across like i had purchased one lol... it was just the numbers i used to work out plate size on paper and what plate size i 'could' go for. :xgrin:

But i have been on the phone to DVSA and now department for transport to see what is actually legal...

If you look at section 6.3; page 5 (or page 146 of the whole document), under the table you can see the requirements for MOT requirements - however, as i was told by someone at DVSA this isn't legal so i am now finding out what actually is legal from the department for transport. see below...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/611019/mot-inspection-manual-classes-3-4-5-and-7.pdf

However, according to section 6.3, for a 5 digit dateless number plate, i could have a number plate size of:

74mm high x 290W

-------------------------

74mm derived from 64mm character height with 5mm margin above and below...

290mm derived from (left to right)... 5mm space, 44mm character, 10mm space, 44mm character, 30mm space (to segregate groups {even required on dateless plates}), 44mm character, 10mm space, 44mm character, 10mm space, 44mm character, 5mm space...

-------------------------

However, this doesn't include the name and postcode of manufacturer at the bottom so i getting the DFT to find out for me and give me a call back... if this text can be 1mm high at the bottom of the plate then a 75mm x 290mm plate is legal on an imported vehicle...