Smell of VTEC

larz

Advanced Member
The new search function is bugging me, I'm sure this has been covered before... Sometimes when I overtake people I know, they comment on the smell from my car... My oil levels are checked weekly and are always fine, and topped up if not... I'm not particularly worried, just want re-assurance...

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Is it kind of a sulphur smell?
I noticed that came from all cars, and more so from mine at a dyno day. I was the only DC5 there.
Also vtec gets rid of some sort of build up so it could just be the smell of everything getting flushed out.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
The new search function is bugging me, I'm sure this has been covered before... Sometimes when I overtake people I know, they comment on the smell from my car... My oil levels are checked weekly and are always fine, and topped up if not... I'm not particularly worried, just want re-assurance...

if your car still has the cat that usually creates the smell, but it is totally normal so dont worry

larz

Advanced Member
if your car still has the cat that usually creates the smell, but it is totally normal so dont worry
Cheers guys... Yeah I've got a cat on there.. It's not an oily smell, and I can't smell it inside the car... The engine performs perfectly and gets it's regular services so I knew there had to be a logical explanation for it :)

stux

Advanced Member
i get a sickly smell of burning oil after about 5000rpm getting stronger as the revs get near the limiter. it smells like a cross between a 2-stroke engine and the cars they have at Banger racing events. I'm assuming it's worn piston rings, as it really goes through lots of oil. Probably 1 pint per tank of petrol. :xcry:

larz

Advanced Member
i get a sickly smell of burning oil after about 5000rpm getting stronger as the revs get near the limiter. it smells like a cross between a 2-stroke engine and the cars they have at Banger racing events. I'm assuming it's worn piston rings, as it really goes through lots of oil. Probably 1 pint per tank of petrol. :xcry:
Ouch, get that sorted dude! What mileage you on?

stux

Advanced Member
Ouch, get that sorted dude! What mileage you on?
about 103,000 now. it's has always used lots of oil since the day i bought it at 66,000 miles. :-k

it had 6 previous owners, so it's quite likely that it was neglected at some point, maybe thrashed from cold, cheap oil or just run out of oil at some point. just bad luck, i suppose. :wink:

I keep meaning to get a healthcheck done by Performance Autoworks at some point, but i'm probably looking at £1500-2000 to get the engine rebuilt to a good standard, especially if i choose get any headwork done or other mods done like a lightweight flywheel while it's in bits. :)