Smokey DC5

darquinn2006

Advanced Member
Hi lads

I was out today with a mate who is looking to get a dc5

We went to look at a 2002 model 98000kms on the clock completely standard and very clean

When he took it for a test drive l followed him in mine, every time he hit vtec she gave out a little puff of black smoke

Is this normal as i have never noticed it with mine?

Its putting him off it a bit so i said i would ask you guys

The car has been fully serviced etc

Any help with this would be great thanks

donkeykong

Advanced Member
Never got any black smoke from the DC5, when u hit vtec it uses oil but dont know if this is normal.
Other people might know this! mostly black smoke is not a good sign :)

chadwick

Advanced Member
Vtec burns something like half a ml of oil when engaged depending on how much reek we are talking here I don't think it sounds too bad ,I'm sure someone else will be along soon to tell you for sure

eXceed

Resident Driver
How long has the exhaust been on the car for? And did you check oil levels. What colour was the oil and also how long ago was it changed?

darquinn2006

Advanced Member
The car was only recently serviced the oil was clean golden colour

It was the standard exhaust on it so its 8years old

Only remembered the seller said there was a de cat pipe fitted, could this have anything to do with it

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
98000 km is not so much really,
It is pretty normal to get some smoke, you wouldnt be able to see it if you were driving, it will be fuel though not oil,
if you look at the power curve of a std teg it dips just before vtec, this is so it feels more noticable when changeover occurs, when in vtec you must be wot so map also changes from closed loop to open, when open the fuel tables are not as as controled so it is normal to get a little puff here and there.

however if it is smoking when idling or alot after startup steer well clear as it could be a problem with valve guides, seals or the rings.

if you are concerned get an aa inspection done and ask them to do compression and leakdown tests they will prove if there is any undue wear in the cylinder or problem with cams and valves

darquinn2006

Advanced Member
There was no smoke any other time as i said it only happened when the vtec engaged

Thanks for your quick replys lads much appreciated

john boy

Advanced Member
i wouldn't worry to much i had my car since june changed oil twice since i had it & it was mapped good fuel curve,i can't se smoke but my mates always say it puffs out a bit when i put my foot down & she is fine just check oil level ofter they do drink it!

VT-Doo

RushDoo
darquinn2006 said:
Only remembered the seller said there was a de cat pipe fitted, could this have anything to do with it
Yes.
As mentioned above by C&S Evo7, the black smoke will be fuel and not oil.

What modifications does the engine have?

dave c

400hp K20
VT-Doo said:
darquinn2006 said:
Yes.

Most if not all Teg's i've followed do this, i assume mine does it too but i've never seen it obviously.

A bit of an observation i've made is that it tends to kick up more of a puff of black smoke once the car has been kpro'd ;) and yeah its just fuel.

eXceed

Resident Driver
Blue smoke is a bad sign though for your information... aaaand mine does flames apparently :D

dave kil

Advanced Member
eXceed said:
Blue smoke is a bad sign though for your information... aaaand mine does flames apparently :D
:twisted:

I've noticed alot of turbo cars do this when they put the foot to the floor also so I wouldnt worry about it Dar

dave c

400hp K20
eXceed said:

toooooooooo rich lol

Get your map checked! I wouldnt trust the mapper :D jk's

eXceed

Resident Driver
haha okay correction mind "did" use to have flames coming out the back. Or a little puff of a flame anyway :lol:.

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
eXceed said:
haha okay correction mind "did" use to have flames coming out the back. Or a little puff of a flame anyway :lol:.
bit more flame, and bit more kick at vtec... such are whore ;) :D

darquinn2006

Advanced Member
VT-Doo said:
darquinn2006 said:
Yes.

It didn't have any other mods afaik man.
Would it be that as theres no cat thats the reason for the bit of smoke?
Out of curiosity today i checked my own dc5 and it was preety much the same, i guess i never noticed it as i was never behind it before :lol:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
the cat wont make much difference, as i said in my post on page 1 the smoke is a bit of fuel and nothing to really worry about.

cpoh

Advanced Member
VTEC hondas tend to run a little rich at the top end anyway from my experience with them. All mine have given off a puff of black smoke when engaging vtec (yo!).