so I drove a dc5 for first time.......

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Tbf its not too bad, some appreciate it more I think. But no matter what car you get that has a high spoiler, you will still numptys try and egg you on, or just drive like they think they are filming for the next fast and furious, with only succeeding in putting stone chips on your front bumper.....that annoys me.

moodyedge

Advanced Member
I had one guy, funnily enough in a fabia with wheels and other random parts painted a different colour to the car, overtake me around a roundabout like a scolded cat and cut me up when I was in a works van................nice move........amazing................a week later I go past a junction and see him sitting as he pulls out behind me.........how unfortunate for him I thought, I hope he isn't in a rush to get somewhere.......because I proceeded to drive along the road at 17mph and could hear the revs rise behind. He couldn't get past and I was tickled to death......do the exact opposite action they want......works every time..

Rodtrotter

Not me!!! I'm ricer threw and threw lol. There's a guy where I live who has a fabia always seems to have his right welded to the floor.

moodyedge

Advanced Member
Rodtrotter said:
Not me!!! I'm ricer threw and threw lol. There's a guy where I live who has a fabia always seems to have his right welded to the floor.
Jdm4life desu yo ne!

Theres yellow ones.....Black as you mentioned, silver....red....and they ALL drive like absolute wankers, all of the time... (when Ive see them anyway)

I see them and say to myself, please please hit something big and heavy and hard, preferably inanimate and away from any innocent bystanders, please! Make my day!

Rodtrotter

Don't forget the seat drivers, there just as bad lol, my mate always seems to always wanna give it the beans lol

moodyedge

Advanced Member
Rodtrotter said:
Don't forget the seat drivers, there just as bad lol, my mate always seems to always wanna give it the beans lol
Yup......more of very much the same behaviour in that case too.

Not sure what my car says about me but I have a good idea what theirs says about them...and it ain't always positive.

That's not to say every owner goes in the same group........but from my experience, you can more often than not tell a lot about character by the state of someones car....

Rodtrotter

Yours says you like to be different from rest and that type rs rule!!! Lol apart from ep3 civics lol. Anyways we've strayed miles away from your post lol, dc5 ftw!!!!!! Lol

moodyedge

Advanced Member
Rodtrotter said:
Yours says you like to be different from rest and that type rs rule!!! Lol apart from ep3 civics lol. Anyways we've strayed miles away from your post lol, dc5 ftw!!!!!! Lol
Something to do aint it......

Yeah, funny you mention the dc5......I drove one last week.

Rodtrotter

It's a great car ain't it? The dc2 in my eyes is more of a track car than a road car, both are epic cars.

moodyedge

Advanced Member
Rodtrotter said:
It's a great car ain't it? The dc2 in my eyes is more of a track car than a road car, both are epic cars.
As mentioned, it was a bit lacking I thought.......

Im not sure the perfect car for me actually exists. Why I cant just make do with a "normal" car I dont know, Im sure it would make life much simpler....

moodyedge

Advanced Member
Rodtrotter said:
Didn't you find it heavy? Compared to the dc2
Could have been the weight......but the gears and more power is meant to make up the difference. Id probably need quite a step up in power to recapture that feeling of the first drive in the dc2. The dc5 is perhaps too similar to feel much difference in terms of speed.

I went from a saxo to a dc2......so theres quite a difference. Probably 90 bhp and around 940 kg to 208 bhp and 1060kg

If I had something normal.....I also wouldn't have the stress of wondering how it was if I left it parked somewhere etc, like I do now. Its almost like having a pet or something that cant do anything for itself.....you wonder if its safe and out of harms way......its just a car!!!! Stress!

Had two tyres changed yesterday and I was watching them like a hawk to see what they were doing, especially putting on and off the lift etc.........I wouldn't trust them to realise how low it is so might just hear a big crunch and there goes my newly painted front end.... :v

It's stressful owning the dam thing.

b18coupe

Advanced Member
i went from a dc2 to a dc5 but personally love it, do have my moments when i think i should go back to a dc2 but then i look at the dc5 and take it for a drive and my feelings change.

as far as performance goes my dc5 beats my old dc2 hands down but doesnt feel like it inside the car in stock form due to the size of it, took both to a local drag strip and my dc2 pulled 14.9 the dc5 in stock form pulled 14.3.

also have a dyno of both cars over lapping each over, done at the same place but different days and the k20 beats the b18c in every way.

you sound like you maybe better off going down the k20 route on the dc2, but would say drive a couple more dc5s before you make that choice.

my mrs has a b18c ek9 and she was thinking about a dc5 but just doesn't get a long with mine nor my old preface lift, she's only small so she feels "lost" in the drivers seat so we are going to build her a k20 for her ek9 instead

moodyedge

Advanced Member
b18coupe said:
i went from a dc2 to a dc5 but personally love it, do have my moments when i think i should go back to a dc2 but then i look at the dc5 and take it for a drive and my feelings change.

as far as performance goes my dc5 beats my old dc2 hands down but doesnt feel like it inside the car in stock form due to the size of it, took both to a local drag strip and my dc2 pulled 14.9 the dc5 in stock form pulled 14.3.

also have a dyno of both cars over lapping each over, done at the same place but different days and the k20 beats the b18c in every way.

you sound like you maybe better off going down the k20 route on the dc2, but would say drive a couple more dc5s before you make that choice.

my mrs has a b18c ek9 and she was thinking about a dc5 but just doesn't get a long with mine nor my old preface lift, she's only small so she feels "lost" in the drivers seat so we are going to build her a k20 for her ek9 instead
Hmm......the problem with a k20 in a dc2 besides the cost is...engine mounts. What advantage you gain with a 6th gear you lose with the extra vibrations. It would make the car even more unbearable on the m6. I did have some solid mounts on the dc2 and after 5 seconds after starting the car....Id seen enough and had them removed and got some oem ones fitted. It was horrendous. is going up for sale and I think Ive decided that much......I washed it yesterday and looking at it I miss it already. Its such a great example, but thats how Iit is.

It certainly isnt a drag strip car and looks pretty unimpressive on paper anyway, anybody who didnt know what its all about would perhaps overlook it based in 1/4 mile times. There are many faster cars out there for sure but how many feel like this does? The feel has a trade off for comfort and refinement but you cant win them all. Ive had it five years so Ive did pretty well.....been travelling back and forward to derbyshire to see my girlfriend once or twice a month since 2013 and thats partly whats took some of that shine off.....which isnt a completely fair comment because thats not what the cars designed for......it does many things very well....and others not so much....and its a but more if a balance I think I seek.......horses for courses and all that. I may very well kick myself when its gone and thats what bothers me.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Your dc2 is making 196hp per ton vs a standard dc5 making at best 184hp per ton (using 217hp book figure) so there would be very little difference in it really. I wouldn't even be surprised if the dc2 held its own.

MrRy

Advanced Member
Dc2 beats the dc5 hands down as a weekend and trackday car, fun wise. Dc5 on the other hand is so much more livable if it's a daily. However after having a dc2 for 5 years, I rarely miss it.

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Whilst I still miss my DC2 the DC5 is just a so much better all rounder. Cabin noise is far less and it feels a lot less dated than the 2. Yes I miss that cross over but unless you spend your whole time on the edge and in VTEC then it makes little difference. It is far more useable through the whole range rather than having to ring its neck to get anywhere.

Looks wise it wins hands down. Still puts a smile in my face every time I see it.

Comfort wise I find it much better although its still not great on long journies which points again to it still being a raw drive.

Natural progression or upgrade in my opinion.

moodyedge

Advanced Member
tricker_luke said:
Your dc2 is making 196hp per ton vs a standard dc5 making at best 184hp per ton (using 217hp book figure) so there would be very little difference in it really. I wouldn't even be surprised if the dc2 held its own.
Good point.......and probably contributed in part to why it actually felt slower.

MrRy said:
Dc2 beats the dc5 hands down as a weekend and trackday car, fun wise. Dc5 on the other hand is so much more livable if it's a daily. However after having a dc2 for 5 years, I rarely miss it.
I am really bothered about making the same move..........the dreaded buyers remorse is me in a nutshell :s or perhaps indecision as I dont buy things and wish I had....

MissMyDC2 said:
Whilst I still miss my DC2 the DC5 is just a so much better all rounder. Cabin noise is far less and it feels a lot less dated than the 2. Yes I miss that cross over but unless you spend your whole time on the edge and in VTEC then it makes little difference. It is far more useable through the whole range rather than having to ring its neck to get anywhere.
Looks wise it wins hands down. Still puts a smile in my face every time I see it.
Comfort wise I find it much better although its still not great on long journies which points again to it still being a raw drive.
Natural progression or upgrade in my opinion.
The dc2 cabin was dated at the date of release, part of its charm perhaps. 90s performance cars are crackers.

11888550_10153288540123884_4301161069892985176_o.jpeg