So which gives the best gains ?

Glitch

Advanced Member
Im weighing up my options at the moment and need some help/advice. I currently have the spoon 4-2 and 2-1 with a BuddyClup pro spec. Also im running the AEM CAI which is being changed for the Gruppe M as soon as it arrives, so thats that side of it sorted. Im now looking to upgrade my exhaust system. Im looking at the J's 70RR, amuse titan R1 or the T1R 70R when its released. As far as manifolds go im looking at the Maxim works if the gains are worth it, if not ill just stick with the spoon set up. My quesion is which gives the best gains? Thoughts?

matt b

Advanced Member
All i know is that with a aftermarket manifold and a J's 70rr you will be deaf as a bat with-in 10miles :lol: :lol:

Dark Blue Mark

Advanced Member
I didnt think there was much at all to be had from a cat back, between the different models.

Id sooner spend the money on a K Pro.

jonster

Advanced Member
This might be telling people to suck eggs but the best upgrade I've recently done is put lighter front brake disks on (Paul G specials). OMG!!! Feels like I've gained 10hp. From my car details you can see I've done most things already but this upgrage is much more impressive than I imagined. I can't believe people who have bought these disks before haven't mentioned this. I don't care if you don't believe me - I will be faster than you on the track.

Dark Blue Mark

Advanced Member
Jonster, I have looked at the brakes and heard good reviews, but they must be the most expensive discs I have ever heard of, and they are home made! If they were half the price I would prob go for it.

Even Performance Friction ones are cheaper than that.

Im sure they are bloody good, but that's just what pops into my head when I look at them.

Hope nobody takes offence to that but I just think the price is a bit much.

jonster

Advanced Member
Hey Mark,

I hear what you are saying and I, being a cheap skate, bought Paul G's first set he used second hand off him having done 6-7 track days to try them out. They are completely warp free which is amazing considering he has used some serious Pagid pads on them and I've seen how much he hits the brakes at Combe. I wish I could have said the same for my Lockheed Delphi disks which have done less track days and are slightly warped now.

My main interest in buying them second hand was an experiment to see how much the weight saving would have an effect on the car. I was very pleasantly surprised and had I known this before I would have gladly stumped up the cost for a new set. And the cool thing is - if I do warp them in mortal pads I can just get replacement disks on the same aluminum bells. The only other people producing this type of disk last time I checked was Project Mu and they wanted very silly money for them.

Better acceleration, better braking and better cornering. I love it.

matt b

Advanced Member
Glitch said:
Yeah is the J's 70RR simply too loud to use? even on tracks?
As far is im aware you wouldnt get anywhere near most tracks in the uk with that set up, you would be looking at 120bd+

Glitch

Advanced Member
I already have Kpro. There are differences between the power you get from various systems. You hear about gains of 15whp from the 70mm systems but i dont want a system that is far too loud for road and track use. How is the J's 60mm compared to the 70mm? I like the look of the Amuse and the T1R over the J's and TODA aswel. Im also looking at the maxim works manifold over the spoon 4-2 and 2-1 if the gains are better. Basically im trying to get the most out of N/A. Ive done hours and hours of research but when it comes to the best system the companies all say they are the best.

DC5TU

Advanced Member
Tom @ TGM runs a Spoon 4-2 with Js 2-1 and 70RR

Last track session at snetterton he was at 106db static i believe

mikegsi

Staff member
horses for courses mate, everyone has their opinions on what is better, ive had a few setups and tbh the performance differences between the cat backs is only a couple of bhp.

have a look at the exhaust thread with all the pics in adn go for the one you think looks the best................

this is a topic that keeps popping up all the time, and tbh there really is no 'right' answer!

as for the brakes, i can vouch for them, yes they are expensive, but blow me worth every dam penny!!

Glitch

Advanced Member
Yeah thats why im trying to get as close to the best as you can. I like the sound of the Spoon 4-2 with the J's 2-1 and 70RR but then you dont have a flexy section so would it not be prone to cracking? Also isnt that too loud for most tracks?

DC5TU

Advanced Member
Sounds amazing, and its fapping loud i will agree.

However, tom was allowed to run at a race meeting with a 105db limit, so it cant be too bad!

As for flexy sections or lack of, nothing uprated mounts and an ETD wont see to.

The weight loss alone on the 70RR is worth it!

The entire system weighs less than the OEM back box!

Glitch

Advanced Member
Thats more like it, im getting somewhere now. I already have ESEM and a J's ETD so i should be alrite. Yeah it cant be too bad if they let him race. Well it looks like we may have found a good combo! So how much am i looking at for the J's 2-1 and 70RR? Did i read somewhere that the 2-1 comes with the 70RR?

DC5TU

Advanced Member
IIRC the 2-1 comes with the 70RR but beware, its all titanium and its very expensive, very very expensive!!

tom also had a prob with the boss for one of the O2 sensors coming off, and had to have it rewelded

all in all though a very very nice system, light, loud, free flowing and looks the sex

although looks can divide opinion as the tailpipes a little limp, and its very expensive haha! did i mention its dear!

AdrianK

Advanced Member
There was a DC5 J's 70RR with 2-1 section on ebay for about £850 i think, retail is a bit more than that, but not horribly bad, i just cant get over the loks of the godawful droopy tailpipe!

Glitch

Advanced Member
Yeah im not overly keen on the tip but ill get used to it. Ill have a look for the system now.

Glitch

Advanced Member
I think im gona go for this system now then. Think ill go for a new one thow. Ill let you know how i get on after i have a remap. Do we know any companies that sell this that have a finance plan? ha ha.