So you want J's Wide Arches? Be Prepared.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
So about 7 Months ago I ordered a set of Js fenders, they arrived this week only I was in no rush what so ever so this didn't bother me too much.

But what did bother me was when i opened the box. Here are the pictures of what I got

So I asked another member on here and was told that his wings were the exact same when they arrived. And apparently some other members have had the same issues with theirs.
So it seems the easy part is buying the front wings. The hard and expensive bit is getting them fixed then prepared and then sprayed.

Be warned if you want a set of 20mm wings this is probably what you will receive off J's racing.

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Any pics of a DC5 with J's wide arches, fitted and painted? :) Just curious as I've never heard of these before.

dave7368

Advanced Member
LiamGTR said:
Any pics of a DC5 with J's wide arches, fitted and painted? :) Just curious as I've never heard of these before.
plenty on here.. brophy, dave c, birdy, bally jdm, blueguy to mention a few..

Katie_JDM

The reason they are like that when you receive them is because they need a lot of preparation before they go on. The do not fit at all and need to be heated and shaped to the car so the paint is going to be cracked and marked. Once you have the perfect fitment then they get rubbed down, primered and painted. I took mine to a body shop near me, a friend of mine had fitted quite a few js racing fenders to dc5's so knew what he was doing and said that is the process. So don't be disheartened.... They come like that as there would be no point in being mint =) I'll put some pics up from when I got them to being on

Katie_JDM

Right so the images I've got of them on, the file size is too big =( if you've got Facebook they are on my dc5 album... Or I can try messaging them to you? They look very good =)

alan-lee

Advanced Member
Yeah mine are the same as this..

Body man has spent days trying to get them perfect and says they will still have a ripple in the paint

TyperItr

Advanced Member
They are just less than £400 normally depending on the exchange rate you get at the time and who you buy them from.

I understand the finish is not as important from factory as it is when being painted, but you would think J's would try make it a bit easier for the customer to get them right. I would have expected (for the price) all they would need is a 1000 grit wet sanding to be right for painting. I mean you would pay the same price again to a body shop to get them right before they even start priming and painting.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
i have fitted 3 J's bodykits, 1 to my dc5 (the first dc5 kit in the UK) 2 to my wifes s2000, even the widebody wasnt like this. When we fitted the dc5 kit all we did was remove the moulding marks and paint it.

thats horrific tbh, is it genuine j'S ? who suppliied it ? i am going to talk to the factory and see what they say

dave c

400hp K20
Mine were exactly the same and my first thought was that they were fake rip offs as I didn't believe that J's would sell something so unfinished

TyperItr

Advanced Member
I agree with the above comments, I don't really see how the condition can be allowed out of a factory or how it can be defended.
If they were £100 then maybe you could be allowed get away with have a few rough edges From the factory.

I have asked the supplier to see if anything can be done. Advantages of buying from a reputable dealer, you can actually go back with a few concerns.

dave c

400hp K20
When i gave mine to TGM to prep / fit / paint they said that before they had even seen my specific ones that there would be loads of work to get them fitting nicely as they had seen a few sets the same, all equally average in quality

Erm

Advanced Member
Katie_JDM said:
The reason they are like that when you receive them is because they need a lot of preparation before they go on. The do not fit at all and need to be heated and shaped to the car so the paint is going to be cracked and marked. Once you have the perfect fitment then they get rubbed down, primered and painted. I took mine to a body shop near me, a friend of mine had fitted quite a few js racing fenders to dc5's so knew what he was doing and said that is the process. So don't be disheartened.... They come like that as there would be no point in being unblemished =) I'll put some pics up from when I got them to being on
Piss poor excuse IMO, if you're buying something new, they should be in new condition. Whether they need work to fit flush and colour matching or not. Especially for something this expensive.

They look great once on, but that is shocking condition to receive a new part and poor from J's to send new items out to customers in this condition.

injection imports

Parts Trader
We've had LOADS of sets of these in for orders...it tends to be the DC5 and EP3 ones that are like this. As said above...the bodykits are all near on perfect finish with just light work required, it only seems to be the wings that have the issue. I've raised it with J's myself and the response was that they are the standard finish and will require prep before paint. I originally thought they just let new guys play with angle grinders on the edges before they shipped them out...but it seems to be part of the fun of fitting them.

The Ing's ones are almost indentical but are of a better finish...which we can also get no problem.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
I had the first set for the DC5 in the country and they required lots of work to fit/finish by Willie. AFAIK they've always been that badly finished from the factory, so don't think it's a rogue 'bad batch' as mine were ordered in 2010. As Injection Imports have said though, their bodykits are a much better standard of finish; disagree with the Ings wings being almost identical to the J's though!