Some advice on Buddy Club Pro Spec fitment

MrHanky

Advanced Member
Hi,

I have just fitted my pro spec system with the help of deburr who has bought my RM01A. Sounds great IMO apart from the rattling on the heat shield. What is the best thing to do to get rid of this knocking / banging?

I have tried searching but cannot find anything on it, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

MrHanky

Advanced Member
Gunn79 said:
Is it the gearbox area heatshield?? Could always remove it :?:
Yer, im pretty sure it is the heat shield. I can feel it hitting it just below my seat area. Might have a look in a bit and see what I can do.

Thanks

Mark

Gunn79

Advanced Member
Cant say for sure on the DC5, but on the DC2 it was fairly common for folk to remove the heatshield, without any great side affects. I think some commented that there gear knob was slightly warmer after a spirited drive - Best to see what others comment on here.

MrHanky

Advanced Member
Gunn79 said:
Cant say for sure on the DC5, but on the DC2 it was fairly common for folk to remove the heatshield, without any great side affects. I think some commented that there gear knob was slightly warmer after a spirited drive - Best to see what others comment on here.
OK will do.

Thanks again

Mark

slacksr

Advanced Member
it might be worth giving Steve a ring at Unit 8.

Why I bought a Spec 3 as he said the Pro Spec nearly always hits the bottom of the car somewhere he may have found a solution now?

raz786

Advanced Member
I bought mine from Unit 8 too, Stevie told me the prospec had been redesigned as the original one had problems with the fitting and left marks on the underside of the car :shock: I bought one and fitted it and I had the same knocking underneath my seat, if you get the car on a ramp you'll see the area where it hits, but aside from bending the pipe with heat i don't think they can fit any different.

On a positive note, mine stopped knocking after a month or 2 for some reason :D :D touch wood it won't start again now!

HTH

MrHanky

Advanced Member
Thanks people. I am going to take it to a local garage on Monday so I can see exactly what is happening. I don't think I could put up with the knocking for a month so will get something done. I will let you know what I do.

Thanks

Mark

raz786

Advanced Member
Definitely get it up on a ramp and see where its hitting mate, I was able to live with it for a month coz it was only occasional and I didnt want to heat and bend the pipe and restrict the flow, good luck mate :D

MrHanky

Advanced Member
Right, I have just had it up on the ramp and there wasn't a great deal that could be done due to where it was hitting. Basically, we have just opened up the rubber hanger that helps support the CAT, and then inserted a rubber O ring to force the pipe down slightly. This has almost got rid of the problem, but it still does it from 2nd to 3rd, when you have your foot down.

I will give it a week and if it is still doing it, I am going to heat wrap around the area that is knocking, so at least it will be cushioned. The only other options involved bending the pipe o welding on another bracket.

raz786

Advanced Member
I think it will stop soon, was it underneath the drivers seat where there's a bend in the pipe? (not sure if i remember correctly)

tron2k3

Advanced Member
Does the Prospec use springs to hold the backbox and the midpipe together?

As the Spec 4 uses these springs and they rattle on the exhaust, I think the solution for that was to put silicon between the springs and the pipe.

MrHanky

Advanced Member
raz786 said:
I think it will stop soon, was it underneath the drivers seat where there's a bend in the pipe? (not sure if i remember correctly)
Yep, thats exactly where it is. I think it will do as well to be honest.

Mark

MrHanky

Advanced Member
tron2k3 said:
Does the Prospec use springs to hold the backbox and the midpipe together?

As the Spec 4 uses these springs and they rattle on the exhaust, I think the solution for that was to put silicon between the springs and the pipe.
No this is all bolted together instead of the push fit design for the Spec III etc.

AdrianK

Advanced Member
My pro spec is exactly the same, bangs at the same place and can be very anoying.

TGM bent mine slightly and we fitted ESMM's, and it does it a lot less now, but does still bang when it rains and the exhaust goes mental, other than that with normal driving it doesnt hit at all anymore.

I think basically the exhausts themselves are just a crap shape, the bends appear to be in the wrong place!

Maybe we should all complain and see if we can get them replaced, maybe its a trading standards issue if its all of us andnot just an odd one?

raz786

Advanced Member
I doubt we'd get very far to be honest, they'd probably blame the people who fitted it, or some other rubbish, mine's stopped totally now, in the rain the whole exhaust vibrates but thats common with BC from what I've read.

MrHanky

Advanced Member
Just been out in it, in the wet and it didn't knock once. Think it is all but gon e now (apart from 2nd to 3rd with foot down).