Some help needed people

Cardiff r33

Advanced Member
Right i am looking for the next mod on my dc5 and just went to see a mate who makes exhausts etc about costs of making a decat pipe vs cost of buying a 2nd hand spoon one.

Anyway, i am a bit worried about the rattly/raspy noise they produce, a few questions NB! I am running a gruppem, and i think 5zigen back box rest is standard.

1. Any clips or comments on this noise the spoon 2-1 makes
2. Am i right in thinking standard mani on dc5 is decent enough?
3. I think i have a 5zigen backbox but there are no markings on it whatsoever, i love the noise cant hear it in the car but sounds sporty outside,
4. b pipe has a big Honda OEM silencer, is i removed that will it start to drone like saxo exhausts [-X
5. Finally, has anyone cit the OEM 2-1 and just put flanges either end of the cat and just put a standard de cat on instead of replacing the whoe 2-1 pipe. CHeaper and makes it easier to swap for MOT's

Many thanks for any responses people

Dc5Dub07

Advanced Member
Cardiff r33 said:
2. Am i right in thinking standard mani on dc5 is decent enough?
Not sure about the others M8, but no the standard Mani is Sh1t3, its v restrictive and shud be one of the first power mod's you do...

Personally i wuddnt bother with a decat, the sports cat u get with the likes of the Dc Sports mani is fine and doesnt make your car sound like a Punto with a Halfords "sports" exhaust... my 2c anyways..

alucardo

Advanced Member
Hmmm the inlet manifold seems to be worse than the standard manifold. I believe Zen1 has a standard manifold and rbc and made 240bhp with a gruppe M but this is after mapping. I have spoon 4-2 and standard inlet and made 235 so imo get an rbc as that generates more torque aswell.

MattDC5

Advanced Member
I dont have a sound clip, but i would advise against the Spoon mani, did my head in after a while.

Cardiff r33

Advanced Member
spoon mani or 2-1. I will be sticking to the OEM 4-2 section. I want an RBC and de cat in any order then map and i will be done, car is great as it it IMO but these tweeks are all i will do, still not even certain i will map it

Cardiff r33

Advanced Member
any other opinions. Has anyone jusy cut the cat out and jubile clamped a de cat in place, gets rid of the cats and makes it easier to change over for MOT's

MattDC5

Advanced Member
Cardiff r33 said:
spoon mani or 2-1. I will be sticking to the OEM 4-2 section. I want an RBC and de cat in any order then map and i will be done, car is great as it it IMO but these tweeks are all i will do, still not even certain i will map it
I had the 4-2 and 2-1, not sure which bit it was that rattled/vibrated.

IMO once i had added the manifold/rbc added and Kpro'd it was a significantly better drive. Before i sold it i removed the manifold, GM and Kpro and it felt lifeless

Cardiff r33

Advanced Member
cheeer matt, i have some handling mods but power its just GM and a cat back. I want power thats all and love the quiet noise it currrently produces off VTEC.

I am thinking
RBC 100%
de cat 50/50

then either unichip map or kpro

brucey87

Advanced Member
not sure if its a good idea to remove the silencer in the b-pipe,
a short clip of when my dc5 had standard mani, straight through b-pipe and spoon n1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNbYKYmXF0Y omg i look soooo young in that vid :lol:

cant really tell in the vid but it is mentally loud even when not in vtec but it wasnt bad with the bung in. it wasnt really for me a bit too loud and raspy so i got a spoon b-pipe and actually made a small gain in bhp. in that vid i made 217bhp and on another dyno day with the spoon b-pipe and just the spoon 4-2 section i made 221bhp with a split induction pipe

Dc5Dub07

Advanced Member
brucey87 said:
Dc5Dub07 said:
brucey87 said:
a short clip of when my dc5 had standard mani, straight through b-pipe and spoon n1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNbYKYmXF0Y omg i look soooo young in that vid :lol:
Did yer man have to spray WD-40 on the wheels(in the video) to get them up to 221bhp? :lol:
:lol: good observation! i dont actually know what he was spraying and why?
Ah that WD-40, you can get an extra 1 or 2bhp out of a can! :lol: :lol:

Evs

Advanced Member
I think the OEM 2-1/cat section is OK, the OEM 4-2 is poor though. I personally don't understand people wanting rid of JDM cats as they are not that restrictive and keep you legal. Why not get a Spoon 4-2 and fit that with the OEM 2-1/cat section?

Cardiff r33

Advanced Member
TBH i am going to read more this weekedn but am almost tempted to dc mani and get rid of the whole OEM mani