somebody justify the Gruppe M intake!

mossyhennebry

Advanced Member
since ive become active here in the last fortnight or so...ive seen and read lots about the Gruppe M air intake system.

One member has one for sale with a modified scuttle plate,and other members are Q'ing up to buy them.

In a million years,i couldnt justify spending nearly a thousand euro on one.

It seems to me...no matter what car that enthusiasts have...theres always something bigger better faster! im a member of the mitsi club too,everyone there is scrambling for evo7 ecu's for their mappable qualities above other ecu's.

Im 100% happy with my dc5...only things i will be modifying are subtle looks.

Dc5Dub07

Advanced Member
The Gruppe M is the best induction kit you can get for the DC5 without a doubt.. I know BC make an induction kit too but i dont know too much about it..

Firstly the looks, a carbon fibre box makes the engine bay look great! The design of it too, with the scoop sitting up under the wipers, the noise of it when you start up the engine when cold, sounds like a vaccum cleaner sucking in air..

The Noise! If you luv that Vtec sound then this intake will bring a smile to your face :D :D :D Though you can get the AEM V2 which sounds great too, that has its downside such as an open cone design and sits near the manifold(heatsoak) even with a heatsheild there is little or no cold airflow in there..

Also the bhp gains.. i dont know exactly as i had other mods but i would say about a 10bhp gain would be realistic..

If i started again with Mods then the Gruppe M would be 1st.... (RBC 2nd)

ReKo

Advanced Member
Sit in a members car and let them go for a drive to justify it for you :twisted:

The power gains and noise are the main catches for people. For me, the only 2 that came close were the AEM CAI (great price but worries about our crappy weather) and the ITG Maxogen (poor air feed imo and too quiet). It would be interesting to see how this new BuddyClub one turns out though...

Also, don't forget that you used to be able to buy them new for about £450 so not everybody shelled out £700 for them.

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
mossyhennebry said:
In a million years,i couldnt justify spending nearly a thousand euro on one.
Nor could I.

I paid £250 gbp,for mine. :green: :green: :lol:

LeeH

Advanced Member
I've bought 2 over the years, both new at £350 each inc postage.

I would never pay £750 for one.

Second hand at £450 maybe......

mossyhennebry

Advanced Member
as explained above, currency rates on the Yen...

'Cheap' and 'Gruppe M' wont be in the same sentence for a while yet id say!

kingston

Advanced Member
i remember sirus, he wanted some parts off of me but wanted me to deliver to him :xconfused:

anyway is the Gm worth it? from a rr i went to last year, a GM made 2 bhp more than my injen (okay exhausts where different), so the question is, is the £500 difference between the 2 worth it and would you notice that 2bhp?

IntegraDan

Advanced Member
Dc5Dub07 said:
The Gruppe M is the best induction kit you can get for the DC5 without a doubt.. I know BC make an induction kit too but i dont know too much about it..

What about J's Racing! Awesome Gains mine made 246bhp with intake, exhaust and Kpro

Although saying that I think full price it's well over £1k!!!

It does keep it exclusive though still only 2 or 3 in the UK!! :D

Evs

Advanced Member
I think I paid £400ish for mine and sold it 18 months later for £350ish.

It was worth the £50 it cost me :lol:

Bit noisy for my liking tbh, but if that's what you like then carry on.

tron2k3

Advanced Member
I've had 3 in the past 2 on the DC5 and one on an EP3, they sound great and seem to give quite good gains.

The only reason I bought mine was because they were considered the best cai kit at the time and I knew I wouldn't lose much money on them when the time came to sell up, same with toda manifold, toda exhaust kpro etc.

I paid around £350 for mine and sold it for around the same price, tbh I think they were overpriced for what they achieved but when you were almost guaranteed to get your money back it was a no brainer mod. But at £750 for an airbox in the current climate is just crazy money. I'd go for an AEM or Injen CAI if you want similar sound and gains and I believe they are under £200, imo.

Evs

Advanced Member
Wow, an on-topic post :eek:

Agree the price they are now is crazy. Possibly worth it in the days when you could sell them for what you paid, but not these days imho.

MattDC5

Advanced Member
£750 is crazy money. I bought mine for £400 and sold for £450, so it was a no brainer. They do look good in the engine bay, And the darth vader impression is cool, but I couldn't justify their current price new. If you have to get one then hold out for one second hand.

gambitt

Thanks for deleting my ever so slightly off topic posts (even though they were in some way linked to having a GruppeM).

Who was it who said they had trouble with Sirus?

No doubt this post will be deleted as well so I hope you are quick whoever you are.

VTeCMonKeY

Advanced Member
Its funny though how a forum can explode a product to sound much more popular than it maybe is in reality... before coming on this forum I had only really heard of the Gruppe M in passing - when I used to spend my time on the DC2 forum it was all about ITG Maxogens and Mugen boxes...

I'm sure it is a very good bit of kit, but due to forum popularity it may come across as being the absolute pinnacle of CAI kits, whereas in reality it could well be just a very good one up there with the best of em.

Saying that, I don't know enough about them to comment much further, but I do know that due to this forum phenomenon if one came up for a good price I'd buy one :lol: - I'm just saying there could may well be a few others that are just as good - and more importantly, for a more reasonable price in the current climate ;)

kingston

Advanced Member
was me but didnt have trouble as suc as never sold him anything in the end

but is the gm worth it? like i said if you can justify the extra money for 2bhp more then...

gambitt

Power gains aside, I think the appeal is that the GruppeM is arguably the best sounding filter, doesn't suffer from heat soak (like AEM short ram) and for me the novelty of having the air intake in a unique postion. Then there are little touches like the fact it's carbon fibre. 8)

ReKo

Advanced Member
The same can be said of exhausts too: power, price, noise, fitment, the lot.

As much as I'd like a Toda I just can't justify spending £1000 on one. Chuck £500 at most other cars and you're looking at the upper end of the market yet it's entry level stuff for the DC5.
The DC5 has been out for almost 10 years now and isn't as rare anymore so I'm surprised prices haven't gone down.

ci_newman

Advanced Member
ReKo said:
The same can be said of exhausts too: power, price, noise, fitment, the lot.

As much as I'd like a Toda I just can't justify spending £1000 on one. Chuck £500 at most other cars and you're looking at the upper end of the market yet it's entry level stuff for the DC5.
The DC5 has been out for almost 10 years now and isn't as rare anymore so I'm surprised prices haven't gone down.
But the DC5 is still rare. If those VOSA MOT statistics are to be believed, there could be < 500 DC5s in the UK. The customer base for a tuning market is very small, especially for new product comers to the market.