Soon to be DC5 owner - couple of questions

ste01

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

Just joined the forum as hopefully fairly soon I'll be back in a Honda, and more importantly a DC5 (once I see one I like in an auction!) I've looked into getting one for a while now and between here and google I reckon I've answered most of my questions but the only thing I'm unsure about is getting an alarm for the DC5 I end up importing. Obviously I know to get a decent Cat 1 like a Toad etc, and to have it professionally installed to get a certificate for the insurance company but my question is, Are there any funny problems that make getting an alarm fitted to a DC5 awkward? The importer has said they can fit an alarm but as they aren't on the thatcham website as approved I don't know if a future insurance company will be happy, so the other idea is to have a local thatcham approved place fit one, but as they will have probably never come across a DC5 will they have any trouble or is it just like any other car?

Thanks

tico_87

Advanced Member
It's just like any other car tbh. I got the same alarm fitted at the same place I had my civic em1 installed.

Thatcham approved with certificate (to date, no insurance company has asked me to for proof)

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Hello and welcome! :D

A proper installer can fit it for you no problem, most installers fit the box/immobiliser under the centre console where the gear stick is located.
Just make sure they DONT fix it to the metal floor around there under the carpet, the excess heat from the manifold that runs under the car can overheat the alarm system, at least that is what happened to mine.

I would say they are easy to fit by those who know how, even I would be confident to do it myself but I wouldn't be certified, so you need an approved fitter as the insurance may ask for a valid installation certificate.

This is the location most are fitted for ease and security: You can see the Cobra unit boxes just on the blue carpet to the left of the gear stick.

ste01

Advanced Member
Cheers, thought it would be but didn't want to assume anything then end up with a half finished job if they ran into trouble.