(Soon to be) New Owner

Saggy Ostrich

Hi guys,

Just signed up to this forum as I am in the market for a DC5 now, after years of wanting one, everything has finally aligned and enabled me to get one!
Last piece of the puzzle is the sale of my EP3 which is currently for sale, once that goes I will have the funds to purchase a Teg.

Really excited to finally be in the market for one!

Can anyone point me to a good buyers guide? I know what to look for generally, but are there any DC5 specific things to look out? I know they suffer from rust and I read the boots can leak too?

Cheers
Dave

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hi Dave,

Clutch release bearing and gearbox bearings can be a weak point.

Rust like you said, most will visibly look fine but a lot of the time the rust is hidden under bodywork so give any car a good checking over.

Some are seeing issues with clicking and knocking CV joints, driveshafts and ball joints so again get them all checked over.

O2 sensors can go and some K20's use oil as well so check them but I'm sure you're already aware of that. I'm sure there are plenty of other things.

Just my 2p worth here but if I were you, I'd spend that little bit more and go for an FD2. Up to you of course, this is my second DC5 and they're a nightmare to get right handling wise but you might get lucky.

Hope this helps.

Marc

ste01

Advanced Member
Welcome mate,

On a UK car I'd just say watch for rust, crappy maintenance or neglect of the car condition. I know not long ago there was one of the well known 'good/clean' integras on Instagram that had loads of mods.... but was a right rust bucket underneath. The longer they've been here, unless there is evidence of regular corrosion protection, I would be more and more careful/expecting to find some rust.

On the flip side a fresh import should be rust free and often have better bodywork, but will probably have a fair few little issues to sort to get it to a nice standard.

Where are you based anyway?

Facelift or Prefacelift?

Saggy Ostrich

Thanks for the replies guys! Will make sure I check everything before making a purchase.

Crazylegs - An FD2 is out of my budget and I really want to own a DC5, it's something I have wanted for a long time!

Set01 - Yeah rust is real worry for me, so will be extra careful when it comes to that. I am based in Hornchurch, Essex and would want a pre-facelift.

lewis87

Advanced Member
I've had a few rusty jap cars that I've had to weld so when I was looking for my DC5 I knew I wanted to start with a car that didn't have any rust.

I had to buy a car that had only been in the country for a year but it is incredibly clean.

Obvious places to look for evidence of rust is the rear arch lips, boot floor under the spare wheel and have a look in the front grill under where the radiator edges sit. Looking underneath the back it is easy to see if there is any rust on the suspension components and body.

bennn

Advanced Member
Rust is the main one mate.

What looks like surface rust can be a bit more than that.

I had what looked like surface rust in my rear arches done and it was back within a few weeks.

Other than that, 2nd gear synchros can be a weak spot (but you'll pick that up from a test drive) then just the usual checks you would carry out with any other cars.

Service parts are generally very cheap and they get great MPG (moreso than an EP3 I found) but being an import any DC5 specific parts will usually be a bit dearer and many discontinued.

They really are one of the most reliable cars on the road IMHO and are a really great drive, they also don't look their age.

Saggy Ostrich

Thanks again for all of the replies guys, I am going to see one tonight so will report back.

Hopefully, come tomorrow I will the proud new owner!

skengdR

Advanced Member
Rust is the biggest issue but if you are willing to spend everything can be fixed .

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Saggy Ostrich

I am happy to say I am a proud new owner of a DC5 in White, with the Red interior.

Car has 110k miles on it, but all the important parts have been seen to and has been looked after nicely and no rust whatsoever, very clean.
Only been in the country a few years with 1 UK owner, imported originally by Torque GT.

So far really happy with it, was grinning from ear to ear on the drive home...will get some pictures up ASAP.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Saggy Ostrich said:
No I haven't got Tapatalk, I'll have a look at that.
Much easier to upload pictures. Just go through your app store for Apple or Android or whatever system you're using.