SORN and insurance

Dazmartin

Hi guys

I'm sure a number of people here only use thier DC5's in the summer. My question, how do you go about SORN, TAX and Insurance if the car is not going to be used ?

Basically I have been offered a free car off a family member, I would love to garage the DC5 up for a while and give her some TLC, the DC5 has been a faultless daily workhorse for over 6 years for me so this seams to be an ideal oportunity to give her a rest. This would allow me to do some work on the car which I wouldn't normally do as I need it every day.

I can't afford to insure and tax two cars and the missus has said get rid of the DC5 if I take the other car (she can stick that).

Any advice would be appreciated, P.S the DC5 has just had another years insurance paid on the 8th Jan and I pay monthly direct debit TAX.

Cheers.

mikey_t8

Advanced Member
If you sorn the car, then you don't need to tax it.. If the car is on sorn and you want to use it, then you tax it and the sorn will automatically cancel.. You can register the sorn on www.direct.gov.uk

In terms of insurance, its optional to have it whilst on sorn but if anything happens, it's at your own risk..

Dazmartin

Cheers guys, had a quote for "laid up" 3rd party insurace £100 for 12 months. Mmmm take a risk .... Garage is alarmed and part of the house.... descisions, descisions.. Any issues if the battery is removed for a long period ? other than the fact it wont start ?

mikey_t8

Advanced Member
Not sure how it works on the dc5 but my friends ep2 and my ford ka both lost all data on the immobilsor and needed to be set again by a garage before it could start up again