Sorting, tidying and cleaning...oh my!

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
Hi folks,

Well I finally got through Christmas and new year unscathed and with no snow over the festive period it was a stress free break.

Now I have had the DC5 for about 2 months I am finding what it needs doing. I will keep a blog of progress on restoring it to as OEM and tidy as possible over the next few months.

Main jobs to do at the moment:

Have wheels powder coated and Re070's fitted - To do

Replace Drop links and Tie rod ends - Done!

Fix Main manifold heat-shield - Hanging on by 1 bolt - Trying to source replacement.

Source odd rattle at about 4-6k assume possible under car heat-shield - To do.

Replace Driver and passenger seat bolsters - To do

Service car (Plugs, Oil, filters) - Done.

Replace LED lights with OEM HID set up - Pricing parts for new or second hand.

Fix leaking boot (assume rear light seals ala DC2 as same issue) - To do (awaiting dry day and daylight :) )

Fit OEM airbox instead of current aftermarket set-up - Done

Replace H badges front and rear - To source from Steels.

Replace OEM Gear knob, current one is really scratched and dented and my OCD is driving me mad haha.

Remove cam cover and repaint in appropriate wrinkle finish red - To do.

Properly detail the car - again awaits days longer than 5 minutes up in Aberdeen :)

So I have a lot to do and an MOT is due in February so hopefully that wont show up any major issues.

I will sort out a couple of pics of the car at the weekend showing current state.

Looking forward to it being taught and shiny.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Sounds like you're going to do a good job of maintaining mate. Have you checked the state of the underseal yet?

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
Do you mean the underseal of the underside of the car, or the inside rear sill horror that was a big DC2 issue and you may be giving me nightmares by implying hehe :)

Will be checking over as much as I can when the car is up on stands while getting suspension and wheels refreshed.

Shutz gun in hand and wire brush attachment :)

Erm

Advanced Member
Rick_1138 said:
Do you mean the underseal of the underside of the car, or the inside rear sill horror that was a big DC2 issue and you may be giving me nightmares by implying hehe :)

Will be checking over as much as I can when the car is up on stands while getting suspension and wheels refreshed.

Shutz gun in hand and wire brush attachment :)
Car isn't undersealed from factory so would check that its been done since its been in the UK and still good otherwise you'll want that to be your first job on the list!

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Yep the underside as they are not undersealed from the factory, this is normally carried out after import but sometimes not and sometime not well, worth checking to avoid major rust issues in the future.

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
Yeah, I will have a good look, should have been done with the SVA as you say, but it can be a bit slap dash in some cases :)

I have the kit to spray underseal properly if it needs it so that would be simple enough, just remember to mask...lots!

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Good list of niggly bits to get it perfect. :)

1 question though......how on this earth does a gear knob become scratched AND dented?!?!?!?!?! hahaha :xaiweb6: some pretty extreme quick shifting, with a hammer is about the only explanation i can think of right now..... :xaiweb5:

Get some pictures up

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
I assume a heavily be ringed hand?? Its got a fair heap of scratches and deeper cuts into it, nothing extreme, but my DC2 one was smooth if a little hazzie so god knows what has happened to this one.

martinj46

Advanced Member
Another Aberdeen member! Welcome, I'm out in Banchory so fairly local to you

The list looks comprehensive, I'm still working through a similar one.

civic17_99

Advanced Member
You should get one of the Skunk 2 racing weighted gear knobs. Looks like a OEM one but is a darker brushed metal colour. Looks nicer

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
I have one of them for my Prelude BB4, I would have swapped it but its a 5 speed design.

Will see what I fancy as the Skunk2 stuff is nice, very heavy for a better throw, but I am a bit of an OEM whore :)

wj51fut

Advanced Member
civic17_99 said:
You should get one of the Skunk 2 racing weighted gear knobs. Looks like a OEM one but is a darker brushed metal colour. Looks nicer
+1 to this. Fitted mine last week. Looks the nuts and feels so much better.

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
A couple of quick pics.

The Car as it sits in its unwashed champ 'beige' scheme:

First Delivery of new bits :

[/url

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
Shame they are LED jobbies that look a tad chav unfortunately. An expensive remedy i am working on.

martinj46

Advanced Member
Do you work in Altens? I'm sure I've seen your car several times there. I remember those headlights!

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
No, i used to but that was when i had the DC2. I work out on the netherly road now.

Probably the previous owner :)

MattDC5

Advanced Member
Looks like youve got your work cut out, could you post the drop link and tie rod end part numbers please

Rick_1138

Advanced Member
Got all the overhaul bits done:
Replaced Front drop links (old ones were hooped)
Same with Tie rod ends
The old oil was drained and new 5-40 Fozzie Bear was put in with a new HAMP filter, New plugs put in, the old ones looked fine but the ceramic parts had brown burn marks just above the nit assembly, so must have been in for a long time.
OEM air filter unit put in instead of the ropey fit aftermarket one, car seems better low down but much quieter on crossover.
Gearbox oil changed for Honda MTF 3, gears now much less crunchy so hopefully that was the issue with second being stiff.
Found that the front barake pads had about 4mm material left on them, so have new set of pads delivered today to fit at the weekend.
Then its booking in for wheel alignment and an MOT.