Spare Key Query

Jemmy

Advanced Member
Hey all,

Right bascially I have only one key & I need a spare just in case. So what I'm asking is where can I buy a blank key so I can bring it to get cut? Had a look online but I'm not sure if I need a specific key? I would prefer a proper type R key but I can't seem to find one.

Had no idea where to post this so just ended up here, sorry mods move if needed :-/

Cheers,
Jemmy

d2007ave

Advanced Member
Hi I believe Dave Johnson at Steels Honda may be worth trying, you may be able to get a basic key on eBay and I know Timpson can order in a blank that can be cut to fit

ollydc5

Advanced Member
I have a spare blank key, mine was brought straight from honda. Only down point is it has a black badge not red, I'm never going to use it with no dc5

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Apparently they are really hard to get cut properly, since they are laser cut, but some may have been lucky?

There was a deal on, but it was about £140 or so for an official red key, just had to give the code on your current key shaft.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
My blank key was from steels but it was black with silver logo. He told me they couldnt get the red in.
Think it cost me £40 and I got mine cut in timpson. Unless facelift are different theres no chip in the key. Timpson do blanks that work and they are a fraction of the cost. If its just a spare who cares so long as it works!
£40 for my blank and its sat in the drawer!

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Handy there's a Timpson in my local town. I imagine the blank key is about the same price from any Honda dealer? Or can Timpson get the Honda in and cut it?

d2007ave

Advanced Member
Timpsons will only cut keys they provide I'm afraid
Can't see them buying a blank from honda. Think my spare was about £14

davidpingu

Advanced Member
d2007ave said:
Timpsons will only cut keys they provide I'm afraid
Can't see them buying a blank from honda. Think my spare was about £14
They cut my Honda blank?

Steels will be cheapest for a genuine key as they honour 10% discount to forum members