Spare wheel well full of water?!

Newty

Advanced Member
Hi there,

Was just sorting the amp on the DC5 and realised when I got in the back that the rear seats are very wet, especially the centre section. So, after checking all around the back windows, seals, roof etc and seeing no sign of a leak, I jumped to the boot, lifted the carpet and there she was, a big puddle in my spare wheel well (have to say that while driving I could hear a noise of water swooshing around but thought it was the petrol tank!!!). Anyway, 1st sign are from the passenger side of the boot, at the back, where there is a wet patch...I will investigate.

In the meantime, if anyone has experienced anything like this before, please advise. I'll check back on here later.

Right, I'm off to buy a pair of arm bands, might as well make use of the water while its there!!!

sinbad

Advanced Member
I got told water can leak in from the top of the rear lights. Dont know if this is right but Mite be worth checking?

Newty

Advanced Member
^^^Thanks for that^^^

I have had a look around the rear lights, removed the 'lil panels that cover them up in the boot, and could see signs of dripping and there was 'active' condesation present.

Anyway, took her for a wash, just got back, and there is soapy water in the boot. So clearly it is finding a nice place to get in.

Having checked the roof lining and seals etc, it is definately sneaking in lower down. The rear lights make sense to me? Any other ideas? How should I make this area water tight??? Bit of silicone sealant?

sinbad

Advanced Member
well the previous owner put some metal tape over the top of the lights to stop the water. (didnt do a bad job by the look of things) but i have ripped it off for now. Ive not had any water problems since i had it but I'm planning on using silicone sealant on the weekend if i get time.

Newty

Advanced Member
Well, stripped out the rear panels so I can get fully dried. Poured a jug of water down the side of the boot, and it is the rear lights. There is a black spongy thing (rear of cluster) that soaks the water up, and releases some to the inside. But also the little wire holding clips that go through the bodywork around the lights, they also allow water through.

So going to seal them 'lil things up, then use some clear stuff on the top of the lights. Before it starts pi$$ing it down, hopefully!!!

sinbad

Advanced Member
Cool, you know more than me now! lol

Glad i could help though. Think i'll be doing the same thing this weekend. Let us know how u get on.