Spark Plug gap?

Rob84

Advanced Member
I've just had some Trust/NGK 7's fitted to my dc5, bought from Unit8, and the plug gap was at 0.75mm when they went in. It might be just me but it now seems theres a tiny flat spot at around 4k and then just about 6k, after the changeover. would opening the gap up to say 0.8mm (as recommended by Spoon) help?

Cheers
Rob

sirus

With sevens mate i would just leave alone... were they the ones for a dc5?? if so fit and forget.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
if you didn't have the misfire before you either you have an installation problem or a problem with a plug,
what was the exact part number?
if you have a misfire it is unlikely by increasing the gap it will help

put the oem plugs back in and see what happens

Rob84

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
if you didn't have the misfire before you either you have an installation problem or a problem with a plug,
what was the exact part number?
if you have a misfire it is unlikely by increasing the gap it will help

put the oem plugs back in and see what happens
There isnt a misfire anywhere in the rev range, its just it seems like it holds back just a fraction at around 4 and 6k. Like I said, it could well be just me noticing something now thats always been there. I was just wondering if people had experiance with varying plug gaps thats all :)

The plugs that were in it were definately past their best and they got binned :(

jubie84

on this topic i bought my dc5 2 weeks ago and recently ive been experiencing a stutter then a change in exhaust note with lack luster power. ive just had my spark plugs out and they dont look to bad but the gap is over 2mm im going to change them regerdless so what plugs are recommended? and any ideas what my problem could be? would bad plugs cause a change in exhaust note? thanks in advance guys

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
on this topic i bought my dc5 2 weeks ago and recently ive been experiencing a stutter then a change in exhaust note with lack luster power. ive just had my spark plugs out and they dont look to bad but the gap is over 2mm im going to change them regerdless so what plugs are recommended? and any ideas what my problem could be? would bad plugs cause a change in exhaust note? thanks in advance guys
Gap should be 1.1mm, I recently changed mine for these, which are OEM:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00474YRNG/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
just to add, you cannot trust the gaps set from the factory, they should always be checked.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
But don't space the precious metal ones (laser iridiums), just in case you damage the tip! So they say, lol...

T

Tegiwa Imports

1.1mm is correct, that what the -11 means at the end of code

We sell all the correct ones on our website :)

Cam

Advanced Member
Or if you can only find a feeler gauge in inches (like me yesterday), it's about 0.043. ^_^

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
But don't space the precious metal ones (laser iridiums), just in case you damage the tip! So they say, lol...
You need to check every plug regardless of their type as e manufacturers often get it wrong

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
PORTHOS said:
Gap should be 1.1mm, I recently changed mine for these, which are OEM:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00474YRNG/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00
VT-Doo said:
Hi,

I'm looking to get plugs as my car is going in for a bit of a service soon. Are these plugs you've listed VT-Doo the correct ones? If so how come they're so cheap as all the ones I've seen so far are like £50 - £60? Is that £33 for 4 or just one?

Also do they need to be gapped or not as there's conflicting info on the forums I've read as per this thread below? The one's I've been looking at are the NGK IFR7G-11KS (oem types), are these the same as what you've put in this link?

http://jp4mance.co.uk/products/1/honda/www./?related=1145

Thanks.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
The laser Iridium's are longer life and more expensive, (Platinum Electrode)

The Iridium IX's don't last as long, non Platinum Electrode.

You don't gap these plugs it can damage the tips, instead you buy the right ones in the first place.

The Laser Iridium code is: IFR7G11KS (the 11KS, being the 1.1mm Gap)
These are OEM specified in the Manual. Around £60 a set.

The other ones you have linked (Via VT-DOO) are the BKR7EIX-11, they are usually £30 a set.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Once again thanks for your help Porthos, it's a real minefield trying to get the right parts for these cars!

Nice one, at least I know which ones I need to get now. Thank you!

Marc