Spark plugs

JDC5

Charged DC5
My car was running a grade higher spark plug as my car was charged. Now I'm going back to a standard performs will I need to change the spark plugs back to standard ones? Or will I be ok running these one still?

Out of interest what oncea are the standards one?

Also, the engine oil I used was 10w60 would I need to go back to 5w40?

Thanks

JDC5

Charged DC5
cos I was running a charger at the time... 5w40 was burning up too fast hence why I put in a thicker grade. As the car will be back to standard performance wise I didnt know if i should stick to the same 10w60 as I always find im topping up 5w40 every end of the week. With the thicker stuff it hardly moved.

Cheers

dc5ian

Advanced Member
what 5w40 oil were you using.. do you know what oil temps you were getting with the charger.

a good quality and true fully syn 40 can handle 120-130°C for prolonged periods due to its thermal stability. only if your hitting these temps should you be upping to a thicker oil.

at 100 *c your 10w60 is 70% thicker then 5w40

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the plugs should be fine. Essentially a spark is a spark. The better the plug the higher temp spark which is needed for forced induction so as the richer mix ignites properly. Going back to an na mix will mean you wouldn't need such a high output plug but as said, a spark is a spark so it won't hurt keeping them in there.

I recently bought upgraded plugs for mine. The sales pitch goes that the hotter the spark, the cleaner the combustion process.