spec 3 vs pro spec

Gerard DC5

Advanced Member
Just recently picked up my DC5 and looking to buy a catback exhaust for it as its totally standard bar some lowering springs. I'm after something quite loud as I dont use the car everyday so no long journeys really. Had a look around and have been told the spec 3 is ridiculiously loud but how does it compare to the pro spec? Cheers in advance :)

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
I'm running cat back pro spec unbunged with AEM V2 induction and it's reasonable on normal acclerstion but Loud on full chat and you know what I love it lol

Gerard DC5

Advanced Member
AEM V2 is hopefully next on the list of mods. Been told different things about it though in regards to heatsoak but not sure if this is proven or just peoples opinions. Have you had any bother with it? Cant justify the price of a Gruppe M just now lol. Eight speed have both on their website Ive noticed so hopefully pick them up soon!

ollydc5

Advanced Member
I had a pro spec 3 and aem when I brought my dc5 with standard mani and cat, the sound was awesome and kept me smiling.

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
AEM V2 is hopefully next on the list of mods. Been told different things about it though in regards to heatsoak but not sure if this is proven or just peoples opinions. Have you had any bother with it? Cant justify the price of a Gruppe M just now lol. Eight speed have both on their website Ive noticed so hopefully pick them up soon!
Personally I love the v2 ne'er an issue buddy.

I was going for a gruppe eventually but my new plans no longer require an induction kit so even the V2 will be surplus in 9-12 months all going well possibly even sooner. ;)

Stylesa

Advanced Member
Liam225 on here had the spec 3 on his car and it is very loud. i have the old pro spec on my car and have done for over a year now and i use it every day, love it. the new pro spec (now named the pro spec 3, strangely) is much quieter, my flat mate has it on his ep3...so stay away from that one.

if you want loud, buy an old pro spec or old spec III, Spoon N1 or J's racing. all other exhausts i've heard dont compare at all really. i have the buddyclub manifold too, and since my car was mapped i get lovely burbles and pops on the overrun.

AEM V2, i bought this kit originally before changing to the 'M'... in hine sight i wouldnt have changed. the V2 is a great piece of kit and i would recommend it highly, people speak about heat soak but it will only be affected when on the dyno, in the real world, the air flow is so much greater and it will never happen. my flat mate's EP3 has my old AEM V2 on it and he just came back from TDI having made 252bhp.... !!!

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Dont forget the Spec IV. It's a valved backbox which is quiet at low revs non vtec and then open up at WOT and vtec. Nice compromise IMO. PM if interested.

Gerard DC5

Advanced Member
I'll hopefully be picking up a 2nd hand spec 3 soon. I love the sound of the 70rr but the system is way out of my price range atm! Is the AEM quite easy to fit? Theres a good guide on the TRO website but Im not sure if thats more for people who are used to working on cars.

Stylesa

Advanced Member
So simple to fit. connect at the throttle body and fasten to block. simples.

Dan2020

Advanced Member
I had the Spec 3 on until recently and yes it's very loud but does sound awesome!! I can do you a deal on it if you're interested!!;)

Gerard DC5

Advanced Member
Picked the exhaust up today. Turns out I was wrong its not a spec 3 but a Pro spec. Just waiting on my new gaskets coming before getting it fitted. AEM V2 next by the looks of things too. Then going to sort out a few small things on the car. Been a good 2 weeks of ownership so far though :D

David Fox

Advanced Member
I had the Spec 3 on until recently and yes it's very loud but does sound awesome!! I can do you a deal on it if you're interested!! ;)
Is there a video kicking about anywhere? I am very interested in this..........