Spec for mapping - Sard sports cat or not?

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
I have the car booked in for mapping in a couple of weeks and have found myself in a bit of a conundrum after chatting to Romain.

My intended spec was as follows:

ITG Maxogen intake
RBC Inlet Manifold
Spoon 4-2 Manifold
Sard 2-1 sports cat
Fujitsubo RM01A

I‘ve decided (despite hating copycat gear) to add a Tegiwa intake and have ordered one as I want more noise.

Romain has suggested fitting the Spoon 2-1 instead of the Sard sports cat as he says it will flow better which I know, however in the real world I‘m just wondering if anyone has actually fitted a sports cat of any type before and did it make much of a difference to overall performance?

My car is daily driven and I don‘t really want to be climbing under it come MOT time to put a cat on (or cheating the law 😂) however if it‘s going to dramatically change the characteristics of the car I‘m tempted.

DC5Curn

Advanced Member
You will probably make more peak power with the 2-1 however the Sard keeps the car legal aswell as increasing flow over the standard cat.

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
DC5Curn said:
You will probably make more peak power with the 2-1 however the Sard keeps the car legal aswell as increasing flow over the standard cat.
Hi mate,

Yeah expecting a dip in peak but god knows how much.

Searched high and low regarding the Sard and they‘re that bloody rare I can only find one report of one being fitted with dyno comparison and that was on a Nissan GT-R that dropped 5hp peak,1-1.5%

I could live with that but not sure how an NA engine would be affected.

If nobody comes forward and tells me I‘ll be losing massively then I‘ll just go with it and see what happens 😬

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
I think you‘ll be ok real world with a sports cat. There‘s a few that have the Mugen manifold which is the same sort of thing. Could search that instead? May turn up more of a result. :)

DC5Curn

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
I think you‘ll be ok real world with a sports cat. There‘s a few that have the Mugen manifold which is the same sort of thing. Could search that instead? May turn up more of a result. :)
Thats a great point. People make good power with the Mugen manifold 👍

kyle'87

Advanced Member
I'm running the Solid Fabs 2-1 section with the cat he fits, making 245bhp. Mapper said it would have made a little more power with the no cat section in but nothing drastic.

Personally not a fan of the Spoon 2-1 section. When Vtec crosses over the air intake increases a lot and the spoon just didn't get rid of it quick enough.

Also, running without a cat isn't actually illegal. There was a good thread on this a while back with some good info in it.

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
kyle'87 said:
I'm running the Solid Fabs 2-1 section with the cat he fits, making 245bhp. Mapper said it would have made a little more power with the no cat section in but nothing drastic.

Personally not a fan of the Spoon 2-1 section. When Vtec crosses over the air intake increases a lot and the spoon just didn't get rid of it quick enough.

Also, running without a cat isn't actually illegal. There was a good thread on this a while back with some good info in it.
Hi mate,

I‘d be happy with that, what‘s the rest of your spec and who mapped it?

Romain was quoting 190-200whp on the new rr at JM Imports which is a brand new Dyno Jet dyno so hopefully gives realistic figures, he says add roughly 40hp for flywheel figures which I think is high but hey ho....

He also said the Tegiwa intake will help build on those figures and not fitting the cat even more so...

SamDC5

Advanced Member
My MOT station tested my DC5 as if it didn't have a cat on it. Worth talking to them before you make a decision? I highly doubt the Sard will make a massive difference. Sometimes it's worth being legal for the sake of a few BHP.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

kyle'87

Advanced Member
GIBLETS said:
Hi mate,

I‘d be happy with that, what‘s the rest of your spec and who mapped it?

Romain was quoting 190-200whp on the new rr at JM Imports which is a brand new Dyno Jet dyno so hopefully gives realistic figures, he says add roughly 40hp for flywheel figures which I think is high but hey ho....

He also said the Tegiwa intake will help build on those figures and not fitting the cat even more so...
My spec for when it was mapped was

• Solid Fabs BBH with Cat and the 3" super silent cat back.
  • RBC Inlet
  • GruppeM
  • Skunk2 Fuel Rail
  • 410cc RDX injectors
Mine was mapped by the guys at Performance Autoworks.

I think if you get a consistent 240-245bhp then that sounds reasonable. It is all about the drive though, it can read nnnbhp on a dyno and drive like a bag of nails. Drive it as much as you can after the map so you really get a feel for the car and how it behaves.

Mebz

Advanced Member
kyle'87 said:
My spec for when it was mapped was

• Solid Fabs BBH with Cat and the 3" super silent cat back.
  • RBC Inlet
  • GruppeM
  • Skunk2 Fuel Rail
  • 410cc RDX injectors
Mine was mapped by the guys at Performance Autoworks.

I think if you get a consistent 240-245bhp then that sounds reasonable. It is all about the drive though, it can read nnnbhp on a dyno and drive like a bag of nails. Drive it as much as you can after the map so you really get a feel for the car and how it behaves.
In comparison to this but obviously on a different day, different dyno etc, mine made 251bhp/180lbft with following

Solid fab big bore manifold
Solid fab 3" super silent exhaust
70mm rbc
Arc intake

This was at EFI Parts

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
Mebz said:
In comparison to this but obviously on a different day, different dyno etc, mine made 251bhp/180lbft with following

Solid fab big bore manifold
Solid fab 3" super silent exhaust
70mm rbc
Arc intake

This was at EFI Parts
Cheers Mebz, are you running the decat with that?

gurrik

Anyone had any thoughts about piper exhausts ... Eurospec says the ep3 is compatible with the dc5 ... And they do a sports cat. Been considering this for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
I‘ve fitted the Sard 2-1 sports cat now, having looked at both that and the Spoon 2-1 it mates up perfect to the 4-2 dimensionally in terms of diameter, actually better than the Spoon 2-1 and the pipework looks to be better flowing too.

Hopefully the Sard cat won‘t be all that restrictive, from reading about on various other forums the difference in feel is negligible from going between a decat and 200 cell sports cat.

Fingers crossed the rr figures won‘t be hit too hard.

Be nice to have easy MOT‘s and peace of mind when declaring mods on insurance as I doubt they‘ll be a fan of cat pipe removal....

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
I have the solid fabs full system and didnt notice any real difference with the cat in.. although i did only run the car for about 10 miles with it in.

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
Well the verdict is in, car was mapped today.

Made good peak power - 217 at the wheels however it is slightly lacking in the mid-range.

Romain was quite surprised by the peak power output and doubts that I‘d see much difference with the de-cat if any...

Will have to have a spirited drive when the weather improves to see how it goes, certainly a lot smoother round the doors...

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
DC5Curn said:
Thats a great result mate 👍
Cheers mate, was going to text you, saves me a job 🙂

Works out between 246 & 255 assuming 12-15% losses...

Did you get sorted with the new car?

DC5Curn

Advanced Member
Thats really good power for the mods you have + you have the added benifit of being legal.

I did thanks mate. Picked up the FD2 on Friday. Its the silver one Torque have just put up on facebook. Really like it. Its obviously not as quick as the Teg was but VTec crossover is much more noticable which is fun. 😁