Speed factory detent spring install

Fez

Advanced Member

This took me about 35minutes to do, but i dont have airbox or battery in the front so i didnt need to remove these. But i did have issues with the detent balls so i'd imagine it would take about the same time.

Tools required
17mm deep socket
17mm ratchet spanner
12mm socket
Copper grease

If you still have standard airbox & battery i'd imagine you'd need to remove these too. Which would also need 10mm socket

Jack the car up
Use axle stands under the subframe
Then place jack under gearbox to support it
[remove airbox & battery if fitted]

I find it easier to remove the engine mount and bracket as one.
I loosened the 17mm bolt going through the mount first just so it has movement for ease of removal.

Then take off the 3 17mm bolts holding the mount to the chassis

Then the 2 17mm nuts and one 17mm bolt on top of the gearbox

Slide engine mount out
The 3 12mm bolts you see is what you'll be removing
I took them all out at the same time

All 3 of My detent balls were stuck inside the bolts (which is what causes the issue of it popping out of gear) last time this happened i just put a small allen key (1.5mm) in the small hole on the side of the bolt and they just popped out, be careful not to lose these!
If like mine this they are really stuck in there, it take a bit more effort, I then took an 8mm drill bit to clean up the end then Check that the ball goes in and out freely.

Hopefully yours wont be stuck and you wont have to do that, but it can happen.
How they should be

First put the balls back inside the detent holes on the box, place the new springs in, then refit the detent bolts (they are all the same so don't need to keep them in order)

Now check that you can get all gears before refitting the mount.
Aslong all the gears are there you're Now ready to put the mount back on, battery, airbox etc.

This i guess will also help if you're car is popping out of gear while driving, more than likely it will be the ball is stuck, quick easy fix.

Hope this helps.

I have been driving the car quite a bit today, and they have made a good difference, the shifter feels alot stronger, and much more positive feel when selecting gears. Imo they are well worth £20 and the half hour to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk