Speed sensor Woes- Help

katsumoto

Hey guys,

Wanted to share a problem so i would be grateful for any suggestions.

Since i`ve had the car my engine management light has been on. Initially this was thought to be the o2 sim but this was resolved.

On testing the error codes showed there to be a speed sensor fault. The Honda dealer I went to werent sure what to do as they thought it was due to the MPH converter.

Had a test for a Hondata K Pro, guy noticed that some of the wires from my ECU had previously been spliced. During the test we found out that the Kpro wasnt picking up any speedo readings ( odometer reads fine).

I wonder if these wires are evidence of a VTEC controller which has bee removed??

Took it to Motormall in folkestone ( interesting ly they do a lot of the conversions for GT culture, newera etc. apparently they are doing about 8 dc5`s per month). The main guy, Andy, was top about it and tested it with + without various types of converter and it was nothing to do with this conversion. He reckons the fault could be in the Gearbox, ABS module or further up near the ECU.

Not entirely sure what to do next . the car runs fine but that light is really getting on my wick!!

Thanks again for any help :oops: :cry:

Sharpey

Advanced Member
Hi Don,

I have had a similar problem, when the car was delivered it had a Cobra Cat. 1 immobilizer and alarm fitted by the importer,
sometimes when starting the immobilizer light stayed on (no start) and I have to have two or three goes before it would turn over.

I then had a K Pro fitted and when I picked the car up the speedo had stopped working but the car ran fine,
give Guy at CPL. Racing his due he spent a long time trying to find the fault but to no avail so I set off home for Cornwall.
Guy said he would K Pro another ECU and post it down to me which he did, the speedo worked for about a day and then stopped again.
When unplugging the ECU I noticed some of the wires had been spliced into to fit the immobilizer, I had nothing to loose so I removed the spliced wires and hey presto the speedo has worked ever since I think between the Cobra and the K Pro they drew to much voltage from the ECU upsetting the speedo.
Living on the end of England car crime hasn't really got to us yet so I am not to worried if the Cobra doesn't work quite right.

The moral of the story is your spliced wires could be from an immobilizer and I don't think my Cobra was fitted correctly in the first place, also like yours my engine check light still comes on and goes off when it feels like it.