Speedo converter problems... help please.. DC5 2001

BazWhite

I'm having a problem....

I collected my car from SVA centre and within minutes the speedo bounced around, the vtec cut in and out then the engine management light came on and the speedo died.. and no vtec at all..?

I replaced the coverter unit and this solved the problem for a month or two. Working speedo, working vtec & even the light went out.

"Great", i thought.

i'm on my second speed converter and the dam thing died again today. no speedo or vtec and the management light came on again.

I am not sure what the problem is :

* is it the car killing the converter? or other way round?

I would be really grateful of any help?

Baz

Duncs

where is your converter fitted?
where did you get it from?
is it the correct one for the DC5?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
As per duncs,
i don't think i have heard of this fault from any other dc5 owner here so would be tempted to go somewhere even a dealer for a proper look.??

BazWhite

Thanks for the reply chaps..

I have the fitting instructions from this unit still and its a :

CARTEK Honda Integra inc Type R converter for both DC2 and DC5 (different wiring for each model - but i've wired it to the DC5 spec)

model number :CK-UN-09

So it seems its looks like the right one?.?.?

The unit is located just after the plug on top of the gearbox.

The first one was fitted by SVA Liverpool and the second was send by them to me and I fitted it following the instruction sheet that came with then unit.

I'm not sure where i should try and take it, my main honda dealer looked a little confused when i spoke to them about it the first time it happened.

BazWhite

I have found www.cartek.biz I think they are the manufacture's.

I have send them a mail asking for more information - maybe they've have issues in the past?

worth a try eh?

Duncs

as long as you have fitted correctly, if i recall its only 3 wires in and 3 out there is not much else to it.
is the actually gearbox sensor working correctly?
is the harness to the back of the speedo/rev connected correctly?

it is not a massive job to pop it out, and have a look

BazWhite

CARTEK

As per the last post....

Whilst surfing the net i found the following web site:

www.cartek.biz

After checking the installation instructions of the converter i found that this was the manufacturer. So, I send them an email (well just a copy of the forum post really).

The chap mailed back and was very helpful suggesting that I come down to see him and try to get to the bottom of the problem. Which I did!

He seemed to think that because the arangement of the engine bay differs to the DC2's, the exhaust passes a lot closer to the converter causing hight temperatures and unit failure.

he extended the wires on a new unit and mounted it well away from any heat source and i've got a working car again, hopefully not just for a while this time.

Hope this helps someone.....

Duncs

good news,
mine is mounted slighty raised off the gearbox, never suffered with any heat problems, but you never know