speedo not working!

truupR

Advanced Member
Decided to finally fit the microphone thing for the handsfree thats build into the cd player I bought 6 months ago (lol).

popped out the whole centre unit including hazard switch. Plugged in the mic into the back of the unit and just hid the wire behind the unit and pushed it all back in. I noticed when I was testing it on a call to the wife the speedo needle was flickering even though the engine wasn't on :s

Had to go pick up a mate and on the drive the speedo was going crazy. Just constantly jumping all over the place - so I gave a little tap on the dash and hey presto, it went back fine. So about an hour ago I hopped in the car and after a few mins I realised the speedo wasn't working at all! And to add to it the EML is on and vtec won't engage :<!!

What on earth have I done!

edit: just realised I probably should of posted this in faults and fixes. I'm such a derp for not reading all the headings lol :(

Steve_DC5

Advanced Member
Did you disconnect the battery when you were working?

If some clean the terminals up and reconnect, sometimes a dodgy earth can cause niggly problems.

If not. Take it all back apart and check all the connections and thst you have not knocked a pin out of the plugs slightly.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
sunds like one of the plugs on the back of the dash has become looseened, there are two locations to fit the speedo convertor, 1 is on the gearbox 2 is behind the clocks,

truupR

Advanced Member
C&S on the money :) was a lose connection at the back. I'm a complete tool when it comes to anything mechanical (won't even attempt an oil change without supervision xD) so you can imaging the horror on my face when I had a lovely EML, no vtec, no reverse lockout and couldn't tell how fast I was going.

Called in someone who did know what they were doing however. Problem solved within 20 seconds lol. Thanks lads