speedo problem unique

Altdogdc5

basically i appear to have a unique speedo problem and i would apprieciate any advice.
basically my speedo is jumping around erractically !!! i have replaced the vss and even changed the clocks however im still have the problem. i have taken off the converter and the promlem is still present. vtec still engages and there is no cel on so im baffled!what should i do next????

Nickyyy

Advanced Member
might be the connectors of the sensor its self are corroded

Older Honda, exact same problem

anton1234

Advanced Member
Have you checked voltage on battery, with the weather getting colder they don't hold charge aswell, my old focus speedo was all over the place, changed the battery and was all good after that,bit of a stab in the dark but worth a voltage check

Altdogdc5

Battery is fine. And I thought the vss on a pre facelift was direct to the speedo . Not via the ecu.
I think I'm gunna have a good look at the connector thank you so much for your help so far . She's going in for a service and to have the front lower engine mount replaced!! At a main honda dealership!!!

TyperItr

Advanced Member
I bet it was the kph to mph speed converter getting wet?? When I bought my Dc5 from the UK on the way home the speedo went crazy on me. Happens erratically and only on wet days?? That's how I noticed my speed converter was getting wet, so I took it out and it solved the problem.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Well mine has just failed tonight. I had this happen to me some months back and after re-soldering the joints and replacing the KPH converter chip i thought it had fixed it until now :xaiweb4:

i'm thinking it might now be the actually connector/plug (female end) that plugs into the gearbox so was wondering where I can get a replacement from and if there's a part number for it?

I know its not the gearbox connector (male end) as i recently changed my gearbox so its ruled this component out including the VSS gear etc

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
OK so I jacked front of car up last night so I could free wheel whilst wiggling the connector and wires etc. It seems its the actual connector on the loom which plugs into the VSS which is faulty probably due to corrosion etc.

I've been on various forums but can't find the part number for replacement. I then called Dave Johnson and he also didn't know "I'M DOOMED!"

Dave did do me a quote for all types of connectors but i still cant figure out from that which one it is (Anyone?)

I then carried on searching internet and found this PDF and F(6189-0130) looks like its the right one.

What does everyone think? Has anyone else had to replace this before.

RE Spirit

Parts Trader
Did you manage to find out which connector?

Here are my symptoms.

Got my mechanic mate to use the computer to find the fault and came up with Speed Sensor.

However when I took it for a drive after it has been cleared - the speedo would work for anything over 50-60mph but doesn't quite match the speed - anything below 30 - it displays 0.

So would it comes down to - replace speed sensor (Si has ruled this one out, speed convertor or the connection)

Anyone have this problem before?

Thanks!

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Mine isn't quite right either but I don't know what to do about it. Mine reads speed but the speedo sort of waves about a bit and isn't smooth going up and down. It's a bit jerky and not fluid. At least it works I guess but it still annoys me as it leaves me wondering how accurate it is

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
like i have said countless times before, i am confident the problems will stem from poor installation of the speedo convertors,
personally i would find them, rejoin the wires properly and see if the fault has gone,

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
jono, the convertor is in your first pic its the small black bit with the tiny wires, often where they have been connected to the original wiring is poor quality, if the original honda insulation has been broken and the actual wire underneath is also corroded, it is possible the corrosion has travelled down the wire and into the connector itself

RE Spirit

Parts Trader
Thanks Si, I'll take disconnect it and take it out for further inspection tomorrow :)

I'll report back what I find!

Do I just need to replace the wires/connector? if so, do you know which ones (if it does come to replacing it).

Thanks!

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
there are a few different convertors around, i would speak to one of the importers and get a new one, after reconnecting the original wires and testing it