Speedometer Jumping

kingcobwidley

Advanced Member
Hi Guys

I had a problem with my speedometer a couple of months ago. I'd be driving and all of a sudden the speedometer would go down to 0 mph then back to the speed I was doing, It would be intermitted, would be a pain in the ass some days, fine others

My mechanic mate fitted a new speedo converter (thought this would be the issue). It doesn't seem to jump back to 0 anymore but can be a bit slow to register my speed, sometimes it will jump up an extra 5/10 mph then back to the speed I'm doing. A different problem but still not fixed!

When I bought the DC5 2 years ago there wasn't a problem so something that has developed in my ownership

Any suggestions?​

mikey_t8

Advanced Member
Probably another faulty speedo converter.. I'd recommend getting another one.

I had the same problem with the first converter i had.. Replaced it with one from sva for £35 but after a few months, same problem happening again..

zacho

Advanced Member
Otherwise it could be your vehicle speed sensor, located on top of your gearbox. Had that problem with mine. Have you knocked it at all fitting/removing engine mounts, airbox, heatshield etc..?

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
Are there not two types of speedo converters you can choose from. One that goes behind the cluster and another that goes from the gearbox? Might be worth trying the gearbox one if you're using the cluster version.

Jinis dust

Advanced Member
I had a similar problem on my ep3 a few years ago, turned out to be a loose Earth on the intake manifold. So give all the earths a good check

Justin