Speedometer not working!

Gar09

Advanced Member
Hi all,

Before I get complaints, I have read a few other threads! But they're not so in to detail in to the problem!

My speedometer doesn't work! When the problem happened the rev's fluttered from 1500rpm -2000rpm on start up, but after 2 secs it idled normally. I drove down the road and noticed the speedo didn't work! However the fuel gauge, oil temp gauge and revometer worked!?!

From reading the other thread's some suggest it is the speedo converter and NOT the odometer unit itself? Can someone please confirm?

Also where did people pick up their speedo converter's from? Linky please! :) And is there a how to guide to fit these? Really don't like driving through speed camera's at the moment! HAH

Thanks in advance!

Gar

G Man

Advanced Member
First of all check your fuses, this was my cause when the speedo stopped working.

Second step is to check the converter itself, it will be located behind the dials or on top of the gearbox. When I say check, I mean by pass the converter to see if the speedo starts working again.

Erm

Advanced Member
Most likely speedo converter, if you drive for a while without the speedo working you'll get the engine management light come on

Ebay is where I got mine from, top of the gearbox was where it was located, simple fix

Gar09

Advanced Member
My speedo started to work again! Must be a loose connection and not a faulty speedo. Might just need to resolder. Thanks guys.

Erm

Advanced Member
Gar09 said:
My speedo started to work again! Must be a loose connection and not a faulty speedo. Might just need to resolder. Thanks guys.
I'll still say its the converter mine would kick in and out for a bit before I got it changed.

RE Spirit

Parts Trader
Just ordered a new one for mine, during the heavy rain on friday - my speedo decided to not work - now the speedo flickers now and then (guess when its dried out) it'll work again but its a pain because I have to keep clearing the code for it to come back again! might as well just change it for a new one.

PeteMTBer

I had this problem also. I removed the speed converter and ran it for a tank worth and it was fine in km.

I then put the converter back in and all has been fine since. Must have done 2000 miles since putting it back.

I put it down to water, as a friend of mine was a bit trigger happy with the jet wash in the front arches.

RE Spirit

Parts Trader
Speedo seems to be working now after drying off.

However now the knock sensor is coming up. Would a faulty speedo fault up the knock sensor?

turbo5

Advanced Member
They are better fitted behind the dash rather than above the gearbox which is subject to water ingress. The condition you describe is exactly what I had. Speedo not working and hunting for revs.