Spigot Rings

Samy888

Advanced Member
Would anyone be able to point me in the right diection for a set of these. Was in with momentum motorsport getting
a proper suspension setup and they advised i should get some.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

there are the specs of my wheels :)

[SIZE=10pt]Enkei RPF1

2x 17"x8" front
2x 17"x9" rear

Offset: 45
Centre Bore: 73
Stud Pattern: 5x114.3
[/SIZE]

dave7368

Advanced Member
did they give you a reason why you needed them? they don't actually do anything when the wheel is fitted and torqued up, pointless in my opinion, wouldn't waste your time looking...

Fez

Advanced Member
I have never run any on any car i've owned with aftermarket wheels, and never had an issue.

Jinis dust

Advanced Member
If you just type in spigot rings on eBay/Google you should find some.

It's the centre bore of the wheel, and hub diameter you need.

They are not pointless at all.

The hub is designed to take the weight/ load Not the wheel nuts/ studs.

Justin

Samy888

Advanced Member
hmm he just said to me it would help balance the wheels. especially at speed.

I had coilovers taken out and adjusted and corner weights set.

kazmo

Advanced Member
Jinis dust said:
The hub is designed to take the weight/ load Not the wheel nuts/ studs.

Justin
interesting theory lol... so you're saying the weight is supported by a little plastic ring?

the only purpose these serve is to help align the wheel while fitting it, as most aftermarket wheels have a bigger centre bore, not touching the centre of the hub, and if the wheel is being fitted by a complete idiot, because once the first 2 wheel nuts are finger tight the wheel will be aligned centrally on the hub..

Samy888 said:
really?

Jinis dust

Advanced Member
interesting theory lol... so you're saying the weight is supported by a little plastic ring?
Ive always been led to believe that they do play a part it taking stress from the wheel nuts/ studs.

For the sake of £5 i couldn't see why you wouldn't use them.

Samy888

Advanced Member
kazmo said:

the only purpose these serve is to help align the wheel while fitting it, as most aftermarket wheels have a bigger centre bore, not touching the centre of the hub, and if the wheel is being fitted by a complete idiot, because once the first 2 wheel nuts are finger tight the wheel will be aligned centrally on the hub..

really?
Yup :xconfused:

adam.

Advanced Member
I will always run spigots, in alloy.

Even if you have a steady hand, you'll never get as true-a-mount by eye as you would with decent spigots.

I don't like plastic ones, they don't handle heat all that well.

I get a local machine shop to turn mine out, pretty inexpensive for peace of mind.

ep3itrdc5

Advanced Member
mount by eye? surely the taper/seat of the nuts keep everything true...? i never used spigot rings with never any problems..

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
I have had lots of cars and lots of wheels, some with spigot rings and some without, including mud tyres on 4x4's and proper race cars , i have never had a problem when not running them, on vehicles with tapered seat or concave seat wheels correctly fitted and torqued.

you dont need to mount anything "by eye" as you torque the nuts up in sequence the wheel will centralise itself.

i have had a problem with plastic ones getting stuck on the hub due to it melting slightly and during a pitstop and trying to fit another wheel over the top, while the wheel torqued up alright it did not last a lap and the wheel came off destroying , disc, caliper, wing etc. i would never run plastic spigot rings on a serious track car which is likely to need fast wheel changes, we had a ton made in metal and a tight fit into the wheel loose fit on the hub so we can centralise the wheel during a stop but they dont get stuck.

they are not load bearing, if they were they wouldnt be made of plastic, they are there to make mounting easier and centralise the wheel during that process only. they do not keep the wheel central once all the bolts are done up, the spigot ring at that point does nothing, the load is of course spread through the faces that mate, so the rear of the wheel and front of the hub, the wheel bolts torqued correctly spread the load evenly throughout the two faces so act a bit like one huge bolt.

i will always fit them if i can as it makes life easier, but would never worry if i dont have them available

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Samy888 said:

I had coilovers taken out and adjusted and corner weights set.
wheels are balanced off the car and the tyre is balanced to the wheel not the car , not being perfectly central could cause some vibration at speed they are correct, but its very unlikely with our wheel type,

adam.

Advanced Member
'By eye' might have been the wrong wording, but I know what I mean, and what my preference is with spigot rings. :xgrin:

Jinis dust

Advanced Member
You learn something new everyday!
I always thought they played a much bigger roll!

Justin

ollydc5

Advanced Member
I've always used the spigot rings when supplied with them but I've used loads of after market rims without them without any problems.

The only time I've found the rings really useful is on cars that use wheel studs opposed to the nuts. Really can be a pain trying to line them up some days

kyle'87

Advanced Member
I ran with 3/4 of mine on my Ibiza for about 2 months (The guy working on my car forgot to put one back in) and I didn't notice a thing. However, I find they really, really help me line up the wheel when putting it back on :xgrin:

kazmo

Advanced Member
you wouldnt notice anything.. as said previously they do nothing when the wheel is tight. :xhappy:

spooke

Advanced Member
I've bought some for my wheels, I figured for the sake of a few £ I may aswell. I would think that even with the bolts centralising the wheel is could be possible for it to be out enough to cause vibrations, but who knows :)