Spoon ECU problem

brucey87

Advanced Member
Just purchased a Spoon PRC ECU 2nd hand. Just fitted it but starter motor just turns over and engine wont start, but starts with original ECU. Is there a way to bypass the immobiliser? I think this Spoon ecu could be for a facelift dc5 or something. on the ECU somebody has wrote DC5 07

brucey87

Advanced Member
oh sorry. you had me worried then lol, thought id just been scammed!!

anybody know if a facelift ecu has the same plugs as a pre facelift? i.e, facelift ecu would still fit a pre facelift but wont work

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
there is a wire that needs linking to make it work i seem to remember, however what wire that might be i have no idea.

i will try and find out tho

brucey87

Advanced Member
there is a wire that needs linking to make it work i seem to remember, however what wire that might be i have no idea.

i will try and find out tho
oh ideal thanks mate, il do a bit of reasearch about it too

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
jesus I saw the thread post there and got worried man especialy when it was me that put you onto it lol

I'll do some chatting and digging also mate if I get anything back I'll let you know.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
ok sadly its not as simple as i thought, (I was thinking about disabling the immobiliser on an s2000 which is simple)

to use a facelift ecu you may need various sensors from a facelift, :-(

brucey87

Advanced Member
im not 100% that the ECU is for a facelift just thought that at first because it didnt turn over.

i found info on TRO. this was done on a S2000, but apparently id need to spur off a green and yellow wire and ground it to the chasis, which would bypass the immobiliser. just trying to find out if its the same method on a dc5

dont worry teegwa, everythings under control :wacko: :xlol:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
hmmm, now thinking the jdm ecu and rsx type s are significantly different, and sadly japan is in bed, have sent some emails so will wait for a response

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
OK there are 2 spoon ecu's for a dc5-

early (vin 100-) -37820-DC5-001

late (vin 230000 on)- 37820-DC5-006

which one do you have?

i guess they are different because of the immobiliser etc,

brucey87

Advanced Member
sorry i have no idea. there are no numbers on the outside, and to look inside id have to break the spoon sticker seal, which may not be a good idea if it had to be returned. i have emailed jap performance asking for more info, but prob wont get a response until monday

brucey87

Advanced Member
nope nothing. as i ordered it over the phone and paid via paypal, the only reciept i have is a paypal email and the link to the listing no longer works :(

:xconfused: thinking about it. somebody wrote DC5 07 on the ecu but is there even such thing as a 07 plate dc5? maybe thats when it was purchased and not from a facelift?

whats the worst that could happen, if i were to attempt to do what i said about in post 11? if it wasnt to work i could wrap insulation tape round the wire that i took a feed off and should be back to normal.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
if you were to ground a wire that is not supposed to be grounded, you could fry the ecu. dont even consider doing this unless you are certain where the wire comes from/goes to.

i think if it was that simple Spoon would just use one ecu and supply an instruction to ground a specific wire.

theres a good chance someone will know for sure,

armjoker

Advanced Member
Can someone with facelift teg try ECU on his car and see if it works? That at least would help to understand if the ECU is for pre or facelift. I remember a year ago when I was looking for ecu, I saw a spoon website with ecus for dc5. They had 2 different models. Ill try to get you the link and you can read the info on there.

Added: Ok m8 i got the contact person in spoonsorts in europe. This is the guy i spoke to when I was looking for Spoon ecu.

My question:
Hi Jonathan

I am interested in Spoon Ecu for DC5 type r pre face lift. I have seen one on Spoon website which is called Spoon computer nts. Also I have seen 2 different ecus one DC5(-100) and DC5(-230) what is the difference? Do you have them in stock at the moment?

He:

David,

Thank you for replying, the two ecus are for different chassis numbers, in order to work out which one is required for you I would need your chassis number.However they are both the same price £846.00 inc VAT and carriage free. This price is for a stock item, we have the later ecu in stock but not the early one, this is also on an exchange so we would need your old ecu

Many thanks

Jon

His tel number 44+ (0) 1823 663111

The link of the item: http://www.spoon.jp/eng/database/details.php?id=702

brucey87

Advanced Member
thanks for all the help, but i think il just send it back to jap performance. just saves all the hastle, its not going to work on a pre facelift.

any idea on prices to supply, fit to my ecu and tune a k100? just looked on TDI North website but not much info about prices.