Spoon exhaust questions

Lewis93

Advanced Member
Just had the 4-2 Spoon header fitted and looking at the 2-1 down pipe.

They recommend on the website for a strictly road driven car to run the Spoon 4-2 with the OEM 2-1 and their 2-1 is more of a track based part.

Was wondering if anyone has this set up and is it too harsh/loud for the street? I'm set on going for the full Spoon exhaust at the moment 4-2,2-1 Mid section and n1 back box. Hopefully it won't be overly loud?

viggen

Advanced Member
i had full spoon exhaust on my dc5.car came with spoon cat back.its very loud,but does sound amazing in vtec.i also added the spoon 4-2 2-1 manifold and had it dynod before and after.i lost a little low down torque and bhp.which you will notice but made 7bhp at around 6500 rpm.sound is also louder after 5000 rpm.i also found i lost 40 miles to range to every tank of fuel.i loved the exhaust just wished i had k100 or kpro'd it before i sold it.if you havn't plans to remap.i say stick with just the 4-2.

look on youtube at viggendc5.thats my old dc5 with full spoon exhaust on the dyno

Riz

Advanced Member
I only have the back box and people moan about the noise.

I can't imagine how loud a full race system would sound!

mikegsi

Staff member
The spoon 4-2+2-1 mani with spoon B pipe and oem back box is fine, only slighter louder than standard to be fair, its the N1 back box that gives off that horrible loud drone noise!

I ran a Toda mani, Spoon B pipe and oem back box for a while and saw good gains out of and never had any db issues with trackdays.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
It depends what noise you are referring too. Hondas are generally quite Raspy. Especially more so with the Spoon exhausts. I have an OEM 4-2 2-1 then a Spoon B-Pipe then a 5Zigen back box. You get the Rasp from the Spoon after 3k revs but at 7k you get both the Spoon Rasp plus a subtle boom tone which quietens down the Spoon IMO. Best of both worlds really. On the motorway it can sound like droning though.

viggen

Advanced Member
also i found with the full spoon exhaust.when you get to around 8500 rpm the tone changes.....telling you its time to change up a gear.

Lewis93

Advanced Member
Thanks Viggen that was really helpful. As with everything I thought I was going to get a few mixed feedbacks about how loud it will be. I don't want it to be overly loud but then there is the solution of the £40 silencer on the website which springs another question of has anyone had experience with this.

With the shape I can only imagine it restricts the back box massively and it looks like it's made of plastic on the pics! Think I'm gonna go for it and I'm sure I'll love it, not looking forward to the low down power loss though. I am planning on having KPRO and a few other bits GruppeM RBC etc.

leejw87

Spoon Whore
I had a full spoon setup on my JRSC teg and personally i dont think its loud at all especially if you use the spoon 2-1 as it had a resonator built on to keep noise down.

I now have a custom made 3" 70RR style system with one silencer now thats loud ;)

viggen

Advanced Member
leejw87..ive just brought a 2.75" j's racing 70RR for my cl9.only has the back box.starting to think its going to be very loud when fitted to my weapon R manifold with no cat.just waiting for it to come from japan.

leejw87

Spoon Whore
viggen said:
leejw87..ive just brought a 2.75" j's racing 70RR for my cl9.only has the back box.starting to think its going to be very loud when fitted to my weapon R manifold with no cat.just waiting for it to come from japan.
It will be bery loud buddy but you will love the raw noise of it in VTEC :)

viggen

Advanced Member
sadly vtec on the cl9 k24 is 6000-7200 rpm.and isnt aggressive like the k20.but flashpro will open vtec up to 4800-7600

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I had the full Spoon system. It had a rasp around 3k due to the 2-1 resonating.
It sounded great, but the 2-1 raised the peak torque to higher revs. I have since replaced the 4-2 And 2-1 with a Buddyclub race header and while this dropped max power by about 8hp, it has massively increased mid range. It felt flat with the full Spoon system until vtec was hit.
I have still got the b pipe and backbox, combined with the buddyclub header it is around 99dB measured at trackdays.

Lewis93

Advanced Member
Sounds sweet Luke! Pretty sure 99db is the legal street limit isn't it so you're quite lucky to hit that number bang on. After the feed back about the Spoon manifold I think I'm going to be taking the 4-2 off as it's already fitted and selling it when I can, it's only done about 500 miles so still in pretty good nic. Unsure of if to keep it stock now and just restore everything on the car the best I can or go for the Toda, decisions...

El_Boomo

Advanced Member
LewisK20 said:
Has anybody got close up pics of the N1 on their car?
<br /><br />Not the best but,<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

poeter

mikegsi said:
The spoon 4-2+2-1 mani with spoon B pipe and oem back box is fine, only slighter louder than standard to be fair, its the N1 back box that gives off that horrible loud drone noise!

I ran a Toda mani, Spoon B pipe and oem back box for a while and saw good gains out of and never had any db issues with trackdays.
How does this setup feel for daily driving?

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
tricker_luke said:
I had the full Spoon system. It had a rasp around 3k due to the 2-1 resonating.
It sounded great, but the 2-1 raised the peak torque to higher revs. I have since replaced the 4-2 And 2-1 with a Buddyclub race header and while this dropped max power by about 8hp, it has massively increased mid range. It felt flat with the full Spoon system until vtec was hit.
I have still got the b pipe and backbox, combined with the buddyclub header it is around 99dB measured at trackdays.
This is extremely interesting!
I also wanted a Spoon 4-2 and 2-1 for a excellent Raspy sound and the idea of having a full spoon system.

Considering my car is barely used on Track, it doesnt sound like a good idea.

Is it still raspy with the Buddyclub header?

Thanks