Spoon N1 Rattling

SPOON TEG

Recently had a Spoon N1 and B pipe fitted all was well until you have a very spirited drive ( cane it down the motorway ) and when you let off the throttle and the car is slowing down there is such a really loud metallic rattle coming from the exhaust for about 5-10 seconds then nothing ...i know its the exhaust as its only happened since swapping it from my Fujitsubo

Anyone else experienced this with the N1 ?

Thanks

joiner

Advanced Member
Sounds like the internal baffles have come loose possibly, had this years ago with a Magnex system on a MK2 golf gti and also a scorpion system back in the day, used to be quite common on stainless systems due to the expansion & contraction of the material. Then again I could be talking rubbish, hopefully someone else will be able to shed more light on the subject for you.

SPOON TEG

Cheers buddy but it feels like its hitting somewhere on the bottom of the car its really strange

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Sounds completely fine to me! Thats the characteristics of the N1, that raspy metallic sound on overun is normal :)

When stationery if it was your baffles it would be rattling and clanging around on a small blip of the throttle. Try a few small revs stationary with someone else at the throttle and hear, should be very distinctive if its baffles.

Not heard of many Spoon systems failing tbh, very reliable well made bits of kit....just loud and raspy if you have bpipe and N1.

Like i said, sounds normal to me :)

Also with the hitting part, when I fitted mine years ago, i had to cut a small bit off the support underneath the rear...it clanged on that so thinking about it that could be your issue with the hitting on something/ rattling sensation. :)

2 min job with a junior hacksaw :) youl see where its fouls, heard a few do this. Its no biggy.

SPOON TEG

Jimmer said:
Sounds completely fine to me! Thats the characteristics of the N1, that raspy metallic sound on overun is normal :)

When stationery if it was your baffles it would be rattling and clanging around on a small blip of the throttle. Try a few small revs stationary with someone else at the throttle and hear, should be very distinctive if its baffles.

Not heard of many Spoon systems failing tbh, very reliable well made bits of kit....just loud and raspy if you have bpipe and N1.

Like i said, sounds normal to me :)

Also with the hitting part, when I fitted mine years ago, i had to cut a small bit off the support underneath the rear...it clanged on that so thinking about it that could be your issue with the hitting on something/ rattling sensation. :)

2 min job with a junior hacksaw :) youl see where its fouls, heard a few do this. Its no biggy.
Thanks i was trying to find the thread about the support hitting the car but not sure which hanger it is the one on the b pipe or the one on the backbox ?? i got under and a feel around as well as i could and couldnt find where it would be hitting

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Its right by the backbox exit bud. Just up from where the spoon logo there is like a little bar that comes down from one of the chassis legs I believe, just need 10mm or so cutting off. :) can be done from under the car and with bumper on.
Mits almost certain that is causing your hitting vibes

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Both mine and a mates Spoon N1 backbox buzz too on the overrun, and we both have the Spoon bpipe too.

I repacked mine and it was better for a while but it must have burnt away since it is buzzy again.

SPOON TEG

couldnt find anywhere where it would be catching still ...very frustrating and its not a buzzing its like the exhaust is banging against the bottom of the car really fast i really need to jack the car up and have a good look

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Was it raining when it did it? As in throwing it down and very wet?

Water gets trapped ontop of the hot exhaust and causes a huge vibration...you think a wheel has fallen off. That could be an issue.

There is a i little bit of stud it can catch on though, ill point out where when im next near the car mate. Its definitely under there. Lol

SPOON TEG

No buddy wet and dry it does it lol ....and i remember my old ep3 did the whole water trap thing years ago with a HKS hi power....its definitely not that lol

Would be much appreciated = )

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Check the mounting brackets on the n1 mine had a small hairline crack caused by vibrations & it sounded horrific