Spoon N1 system vs BC Spec 3...

AdrianK

Advanced Member
How do these 2 systems compare?

Both are meant to be light, not sure on the exact weights, and both are said to be fairly loud.

Has anyone heard/ seen/ owned both and could do a little comparison for me, or anyone know anything about the specs (weight etc..) of them both?

Also, which of the 2 would you choose?

The Mofo

Advanced Member
Most people have commented on here about how loud they are and I'm sure they're both pretty close on performance. The question that I would be asking is which one do you prefer the look of?

IMO the spoon is a pea shooter and looks out of place on the DC5, the pro spec looks much better but I guess it's a question of taste.

AdrianK

Advanced Member
I already have the spoon N1, and personally i prefer the look of the BC spec 3, its similar to the old HKS i used to have.

I was really only tempted by the spoon as i got it new for a good price, and i was caught on a happy day, so i had it lol.

Evs

Advanced Member
I thought you got rid of the HKS because you kept scraping it on speed bumps etc? If so then I'd suggest you stick with the Spoon system as the BC ones sit low - probably lower than the HKS - and the Spoon is closer to OEM in terms of fit.

I personally wouldn't have either system as they're too loud imho, but that's not the question you asked... :arrow:

AdrianK

Advanced Member
Yeah i did change due to the scraping of the HKS, but i prob would of lived with it if the spoon hadnt been reasonably priced.

Problem is that i am going off the looks of the spoon, but theres not much else that seems to fit aswell, and i cant afford to get a mugen twinloop really.

I still scrape with the spoon b pipe, just not as much, with the N1 backbox and the std b pipe there was no scraping at all.

So basically the BC will be a bad fitment and restart my scraping woes all over again :-(

Evs

Advanced Member
Well I had a BC4 for a bit and that did hang pretty low, and the other BC systems I've seen look much of a muchness tbh.

Don't blame you going off the pea shooter tbh :lol:

Why not just stick the OEM BB back on? Fits well, won't lose you much (if any) power, looks meatier, is quieter, and you'll make some cash from selling the pea shooter? :idea:

conoroneill

Advanced Member
To be fair the standard cat-back system is pretty much unrestrictive up to around 260BHP, which not many of us will even attempt to pass.

You can actually lose some torque with larger bore exhausts but gain some high end power.

I also found that the Spoon system hangs quite low and will chink on steep inclines or ramps.

AdrianK

Advanced Member
I dont find the spoon too low, its lower than OEM, but not as bad as my HKS was.

Originally i had the spoon N1 backbox, with a std b pipe and that didnt rub, but i wasnt keen on the sound combo, was quiet at some rev ranges and boomy at others...

Im prob going to buy a std backbox, and put it on in place of the N1 backbox, with the spoon b pipe and see how that is.

matt b

Advanced Member
Iv got a BCIII its quite loud but IMO sounds amazing and I wouldnt have any other system 8)

The mid-pipe sits quite low and on eibach springs can scrap on speed humps etc so you do have to go extra slowly. TBH i dont drive over many speed humps and most after market systems on the teg will get midpipe damage.

AndyGreen

Anyone got any fitted pics of the Spec 3? I had one of these on my old Civic R and loved it but i'm unsure of how it looks on the DC5, my concern is something that hangs down from the bumper so you can see all of the rear can.

matt b

Advanced Member
AndyGreen said:
Anyone got any fitted pics of the Spec 3? I had one of these on my old Civic R and loved it but i'm unsure of how it looks on the DC5, my concern is something that hangs down from the bumper so you can see all of the rear can.
Here you go mate just a quick picture i took for you mate sorry if the quality is poor!

AdrianK

Advanced Member
Would you be up for meeting sometime mate, i see your location is berkshire same as mine, be good to be able to actually hear the exhaust and compare how low it really hangs with the spoon.

matt b

Advanced Member
AdrianK said:
Would you be up for meeting sometime mate, i see your location is berkshire same as mine, be good to be able to actually hear the exhaust and compare how low it really hangs with the spoon.
Just replied to your PM mate

AdrianK

Advanced Member
Likewise thanks, would be great if we can sort something, really helps to be able to see and hear something first!

Do you have OEM manifold or an aftermarket one btw?