Spoon progressive springs vs Standard ones (on the track)

DP.

Advanced Member
Can anyone actually say that they have compared the two and if there was much difference with the spoon ones?

I im just wondering whether it is worth it or not - whats everyones opinion?

Welsh-Rich

Advanced Member
Not compared them on track, but on the road the car feels more sure footed on 'eager' cornering and a lot more steady on heavy braking and hard driving!

Well worth the change IMO 8)

Wootty

Advanced Member
At Hullavington the other month, I had spoons and Anton (g-zone) didn't. I never thought about it till Anton got in mine as a passenger then commented how much difference there was in the cornering. There was one little chicane where the spoon'd car was so much more stable through the little flick right/left.

I think Anton went out and got his spoon springs after that?

nova

Advanced Member
Hello just a quick question. By changing too sppon springs does the day to day driving of the car become unbearbale. I had HKS Hyper Max Coilovers on my DC2 and when ever there was uneven roads i would end up liquidizing my insides with the shakes and bangs. In fact a few days after my boss had surgery to remove an appendix i gave him a lift from a meeting. He asked me to stop the car so he could get a taxi as he thought his stitches were going to come undone with the shaking! :shock:
So is it going to be very uncomfortable day to day with these?
Thanks

ausR

Advanced Member
thanks for the tip, im very tempted by a set of 18x7.5 CE28 so that drop should look sweet.
by the way, did they deliver AUDM DC5R to NZ or do you grey import JDM ones?

jonster

Advanced Member
I've been using my Spoon progressives on the track for some time now. I'm very happy with them and I feel they give a more supple ride on the road too. I've not tried coilovers to compare with but I certainly didn't want any harder ride than stock.

Jon

g-zone

Advanced Member
I think the main differences you will notice on the track are: when you're braking hard, the back won't step out like it does with the stock springs. There's less body roll and the turn in is quicker.

Beware of speed bumps though - especially if you're running 16" wheels! The little tarmac'd humps are the worst unless you go over them at 1mph, you'll end up clunking someting.

mikegsi

Staff member
mine got fitted yesterday, obviously havent been on track with them yet, but road use has improved dramatically with them, the rides still isnt stupidly hard either

Archie

Advanced Member
Im starting to like the sound of these :D only problem is my IINGS front bumper as it is lower than standard it might cause a problem over humps and driving up my drive way, anyone had an issue with an after market front end :?:

Wai

Mine is standard with spoon springs and when coming off my drive, there is about 1" clearance from the nose to the ground.

Ask Wooty, he has an Ings bumper and spoon springs.

mikegsi

Staff member
apparently the drop is only about 25mm, so its not a massive one, but i dont know about the after market bumpers and how low they hang

Wootty

Advanced Member
Wai said:
Mine is standard with spoon springs and when coming off my drive, there is about 1" clearance from the nose to the ground.

Ask Wooty, he has an Ings bumper and spoon springs.
There aint much clearance at the front! So speed ramps and coming down carpark ramps out onto the road is a bit of a mare - but you just gotta take it slowly or on the angle.

But its woth the extra care - the look and ride make it worth it - IMHO :lol:

Worse thing i found was parking next to curbs. Ive scraped the bottom edge sides of the INGS both sides now when turning into a space adjacent to a curb. At least it acts as a warning to stop you curbing the alloys :shock: