Spoon Question

M3Tz

Hey guys,

Still new to this so please bare with me,

I am/might be buying a spoon back box and spoon 2-1

a friend of mine who works are toyko express has told me that the spoon systems are not that great and are 10 or so years old,

but my friend has told me that the standerd pipe on dc5 is 2" the spoon is 2.5" or maybe he said dc5 was 3" and the spoon is 3.5"

anyway he is adiment that the spoon will have bottle necks in the system even if it is connect to a full spoon system as the flanges or connecting parts are made smaller to connect to the standard system,

he is kinda telling me im wasting my money and should get other stuff,

but im calling for all g33ks/boffins or people who really know there stuff to tell me if he is right or not

Thanks alot guys

Matt

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
I think he means the design, but TBH exhaust design for n/a cars is much older than that, and hasn't really changed.

If the price is right there is nowt wrong with the parts you talk about . BUT you should look to get the B pipe to match,
You also should be aware the 2-1 section replaces the cat.

There are arguably better combinations but this would be an improvement over stock even if you keep the std b pipe.

M3Tz

Thanks for the reply's

the price is right for me anyway, and i know spoon are a good make, but is toyko express correct by saying hmm i cant get my words out propaly look below

for e.g

|----| |---|
back box b pipe

the | are the fitting parts and the -- are the rest of the pipe,
if the -- part of the pipe is 2.5 inch but the | part the fitting/flange or whatever its called is only 2" doesn't that cause a bottle neck or restriction
and thus not being as good as other makes or not really increasing bhp

Its £350 for the 2-1 and back box 2nd hand

Thanks Matt.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
It will be fine, don't worry about it, your restriction will be the std B pipe, the Spoon flanges are the same size as the pipe.
:wink:

ally_mac

Advanced Member
As some people have said, the standard b pipe is support to be a bit restrictive. Instead of get the back box and 2-1, why dont you get the 2-1 and the b pipe and keep the standard back box

Jayk

Advanced Member
id put on a toda manifold and a spoon b-pipe, that made a mass a mount of difference, spoon design is proven. The flow rate is very good on the back box, change a back box on a set up with breathing mods will only add like 2-3hp, id get the 4-2-1 and the B-pipe if you want a good gain. Then the back box later.

Jay

M3Tz

Thanks for the response guys,

but i dont think im getting a answer to the question, maybe its my fault for not making it clear.

but anyway i plan to change quite a bit but will have to change in stages as i still live on planet earth and cannot afford the whole lot :roll:

Jayk

Advanced Member
ahh sorry mate, regards bottlenecks,

the bore is more, and then at the joints gets smaller it will compress the air, making it harder to get it out, im not sure how much it would affect the car, im sure its all dependant upon the rest of your mods or system.

tokyo express are right in what they are say for sure, from what i saw when fitting mine it didnt bottleneck like a "powerflow exhaust system" so it was not obvious,

im not sure if all exhaust makes are like this, but im sure it wouldnt make to much difference if you just have breathing mods.

hope thats bit better.

luffy

Advanced Member
i got spoon 4-2 and 2-1 and fitted them with a mate of mine. i have no mechanical knowledge and we pissed it in about 3-4 hours

conoroneill

Advanced Member
Spoon systems have a 60mm bore throughout.
There is no "bottle neck" effect.

The most restrictive parts of your original exhaust system are the Manifold / CAT and the Mid-pipe (B-pipe). The standard back box is unrestrictive up to 250BHP and only realy affects the timbre of the engine.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
C&S Evo7 said:
It will be fine, don't worry about it, your restriction will be the std B pipe, the Spoon flanges are the same size as the pipe.
:wink:
AS per my previous post.

RSX type S

Tokyo Express always diss Spoon parts I dont know why they are a dealer
They push the tanabe alot when you ask for spoon!

i think thay are just hard to get hold of whereas tanabe isnt

I had a spoon n1 on my DC2 and it was great

TypeRKid

Advanced Member
Im using a full spoon system and its great! If you want power and sound then i'd recommend this :wink: The N1 tailpipe will put a few people off though :?

Tim_85

Spoon are the dogs danglees!!!!
Dont worry about restrictions, especially if your planning to change the rest of the exhaust system in the near future anyway.
Keep us updated whatever you do! :D