Spoon springs compare with Mugen Showa suspension springs

Henry

Hi guys,

For those running spoon springs, how are the ride quality on B roads compare to the ITR oem and mugen showa suspension?

Are they good for daily driving?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Yep. :) I did a small write up on my build thread, ill copy it across later, too much to do now. Lol

In the meantime, Have a search on here mate, plenty of info on this already. ;)

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I have already replied to your PM's regarding this. The Spoons will be more harsh compared to the Mugens. It depends what you want.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
This is from my build thread....(bare in mind that I Came from Teins, but had OEM for about three years also).

"Overall impressions?? very good spring. :xyes: A lot firmer on the motorway than the Tein's were.....Tein's with regards to smoothness at speed were ace(70mph) . Spoon's are not horrible by any means, but where the Tein's seemed to "float" over road changes the Spoon's sort of "hop" and then level very quickly. very nice feeling, and far from uncomfortable.

Around town, the Teins were very similar to OEM feel. A bit crashy at times but certainly not unbearable. But you could definitely feel the progressive design differences on town roads to A/B roads working well. The Spoons however seem to be more of a set level of firmness, quite similar to how I described driving along the motorway, A/B roads etc. Slightly less crashy in feel than the Tein's, but still firm.... very hard to describe.lol just quick to level the car out....

Everyday driving I love them, perfect firm feedback through the wheel, but more importantly to me, the front lower drop they give. Basically the only reason I changed them. haha glad to now have a set on the car at long last. !!!! :xgrin:"

As said, plenty of info, just grab a cuppa and search away! ;)

HTH

Henry

Thanks All :xyes:

When you say firm, would you say they are firm like coilovers? or less

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Never had coilovers mate, had no need to. Everyone has different levels of how firm or soft they think something is so I'm struggling to answer this question. These are perfectly useable on the road I find, as many people have kept saying aswell mate, I cannot describe it another way really, they aren't rock solid, but its no merc either... its a fun handling type R that corners brill. simples

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I'll reply here rather than to your PM too Henry.
I don't think you can label coilovers as being less or more harsh than a specific spring. There is a huge range of coilovers out there from £300 ebay jobbies to £3.5k units.
If you pay top money you are likely to get unrivalled damping which will be better than the Honda shocks. The rest will be down to spring rates which will also differ massively from one setup to another.

Shorter aftermarket springs are generally there for only one reason and that's to lower the ride height. Generally as there is less spring travel it will need to be firmer than the spring being replaced. I say generally because there may be exceptions where the original spring had a high spring rate but that's quite rare.

I've only driven on knackered ohlins that were rose jointed and on 12k & 14k springs. Spoons are about half that rate so needless to say the car felt MUCH more supple when I changed over.

I also know somebody who went from Spoon springs to Meister R coilovers and they said the coilovers were miles better than the Spoons.

It all comes down to 3 things. The quality & condition of the damper, the spring rate and as Jim says - personal preference

You living near any members running some different setups to try for yourself? It's the only way to try and figure what works best for you without a very expensive trial and error method.

FireDance

Advanced Member
I have spoon springs

I can not compare these to DC5 OEM as they were on when I bought the car.

Compared to Eibach that I had on my EP3, the Spoon are alot firmer. They are very good springs.

Compared to Tein Coilovers they are not as firm/harsh. But compared to Eibach ABP springs they are firmer.

If you do get them and are travelling alot of miles on B roads, get a cushion :xlol:

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
FireDance said:
If you do get them and are travelling alot of miles on B roads, get a cushion :xlol:
Prime example of what I mean, I think they are fine on B roads. Its all personal choice. :)

Only tine they are uncomfortable is the same as Oem and every suspension setup ...when the unavoidable pothole that you can get to China in if you fall into it, gets driven over. Lol. Having a go in a lowerd one first is probably your best bet, even if that may not always be feasible. :)

maxvr6

Advanced Member
I've driven Shortstuff's car which has Spoon springs and is setup with TGM's FRSU settings, i think they're quite comfy infact i was very impressed. They are hard and there is some bounce but it feels very stable and not crashy at all, but i come from Tanabe springs and a much more agressive setup. The settings themselves i think can play a big role in how they feel especially if there are aggressive toe settings involved and even the tyre choice can effect it, i would recommend them but its all up to personal preference. Best bet is to get a ride in a car with them already installed.

Stuarty

Advanced Member
I have Spoon springs on order and would like some new shocks to complement them. Are the Mugen Showa shocks available to buy separate or do they only come as a spring and shock package??