Spoon springs uneven and clunking.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Sounds like the spring isn't quite sitting home properly, I'd be inclined to take the above measurements and inspect the one that sits slightly out.
Although awkward to measure maybe better to measure from the centre, of the wheel cap. If one of you is using aftermarket wheels the measurements could be different.
Like the above idea of the coiled rubber

emmsyDC5xx

Advanced Member
If it helps I'm on OEM alloys for reference :)

The clunking does sound strange as I mentioned it to my boyfriend who has driven both my DC5 with their SPOON Springs and he doesn't have music on like I do, he has never heard clunking either. So def get it looked into id say. Who is the local garage for you? TDi North are great

Col R

Understand you might not want to upset your geo settings etc but you could always pop the wheel off, get some light in there and use an inspection mirror. Wouldn't do any harm to have a good look

Spoon_Sports_Europe

Parts Trader
Hello. Sorry to hear you might be having issues. Neither of these have come to our attention before. We have only ever had excellent reports for customers with the Springs installed.

As mentioned by other members I think it is worth making sure that they have been installed correctly or the spring may not have seated home properly.

It is not uncommon for non sleeved progressive springs to make clunk or click as the coils meets.

Look forward to hearing your findings.

Anthony

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
I have had the odd clunk but Tom warned me of this due to not having sleeves.

I have also developed a strange twang when turning at low speeds.

My rear driver is also slightly lowered then my passenger rear

I'm at TGM Saturday. I'll get Tom to give me his thoughts

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
This isn't the same as the EP3 issue is it?

Lowered ep3's can be upto 10mm different on one side, apparently Honda tolerance in the chassis allows it, but on oem height you simply don't notice.

Tom, twang at low speed will most likely be top mount bearings.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

S'arrt

I just recently replaced my Eibach springs with coilovers, and noticed the sleeves on the springs.. I had no idea what they were for..

If it helps anyone, there are pictures in this imgur album of Eibach/OEM springs and you can make out the sleeves on them..

http://imgur.com/a/qpeHy

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Right guys, In the effort to combat the clunky noises created by these springs I brought a metre of blue silicone tubing from eBay. It has an inner bore size of 13mm and the walls are 3mm thick, with a bit of silicone grease I've eased them over copying the same position the eibach ones are in

Darren4

Advanced Member
Guys and girls would anyone know if the spoon springs are really stiff? I ask as my Mugen showas are way to stiff for the road, so was going to change the springs to spoons to make them less stiff?

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Do you know the spring rates for your mugen Showa ?
The spoon ones are
FRONT: 7.4 (2.8-4.6) kg / mm
REAR: 8.2 (3.0-8.0) kf / mm

Stock spring rates :
F 3.6
R 3.1

mugen spring rates
F 3.8
R 3.4

Darren4

Advanced Member
ollydc5 said:
Do you know the spring rates for your mugen Showa ?
The spoon ones are
FRONT: 7.4 (2.8-4.6) kg / mm
REAR: 8.2 (3.0-8.0) kf / mm
Tried to have a look but not much info so far, thanks for the spring rates for the spoon :)

gaza4

Advanced Member
ollydc5 said:
Right guys, In the effort to combat the clunky noises created by these springs I brought a metre of blue silicone tubing from eBay. It has an inner bore size of 13mm and the walls are 3mm thick, with a bit of silicone grease I've eased them over copying the same position the eibach ones are in

did this make any difference??? i cant see it doing much since its the higher springs that would be knocking off each other...

Linus27

Advanced Member
My Spoon springs rattle and clunk all the time It's a bit embarrassing as it sounds like something is wrong with the car but Tom did warn me they clunk a bit. Will changing to Bilstein Coilovers in the future so not bothered at the moment and the car handles brilliantly with them.