Sports Cat & Quiet system

George K

Advanced Member
Apart from Mugen does anyone do a good full system which incorporates a Sports (100 cell) Cat?

My hearing has been affected by years of standing in motor racing pits, and bizarrely i can not stand loud noises, so I am also looking for a quiet system - not the norm I know, but there you are.

Any help on both fronts much appreciated.

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
The quietest exhaust to get would be the Mugen Twinloop. Gives good gains, isn't too loud (tried and tested by the wife!! :lol: ) and has that Mugen bling to it too!! 8) This will be up for sale in a week or so if you are interested!! :D

The stock manifold is made of relatively thick mild steel pipework compared to the thinner stainless steel equivalents, and there are heatshields around it which muffle the sound quite well. So basically any replacement will be louder!! I have found the BuddyClub Race Header not to be too loud though, so that could be a good choice.

On a side note, the most restrictive part of the stock manifold is the 4-2 section, so I wouldn't bother replacing the 2-1 section with a Spoon or J's racing de-CAT pipe without doing the 4-2. You might find a happy medium being to fit the Spoon or J's racing 4-2 section without replacing the std 2-1 section which will keep your CAT and mean no problems come MOT time. Up to yourself though.

George K

Advanced Member
Cats & Exhaust

Thanks very much for your advice - by 4 into 2 section, you do mean the header/primaries.?
Sorry that it is too soon to take up your offer, as i am still researching whether to change my Clio Trophy for a DC5. I use it as a second car and for hill climbing - although the Clio handles brilliantly, particularly in the wet, it is very difficult to increase the power by any appreciable margin, despite what you may read on the forums. Hence teh DC5 loks the most sensible option.

Boosted-Imports

I got the mugen twin loop on my dc5-r and its really really quiet.just a little sporty note.

for me its much too quiet.i hoe it will get more power and louder when ive fitted the spoon downpipe.

j30l

Advanced Member
i was in the same boat. ive gone for a Kakimoto Regu06R. Quiet on idle, quiet under vtec and when vtec kicks in it does get louder but nothing too much. When your driving down a busy road you dont get people looking at you like, "who's that cunt in the boyed up loud car" as its just a tad louder than oem (under vtec). sounds amazing imo.
Ive not changed the header yet, but ive got a Feels one waiting for me to put it on (this deletes the cat completely). i wanted to go down the sports cat route but this header popped up. Fingers crossed it wont add that much noise.
If you can wait a while ill let you know how it sounds once ive installed it.

The loudest thing on my car so far is the gruppeM induction.

joel