Spotted(dartford tolls),Insurance and info!

Tommy D

Hi all,

I've been looking at changing my car for a while now and so far have pretty much looked at everything thats jap rwd, but lately i've been thinking that my driving style/roads are more suited to fwd car as imo you can safely push a fwd car much more than a rwd so that = more fun! So after looking at what I actually want from a car I started looking into itr's manly the uk versions as I had not seen/heard much about the DC5's at all till earlier this week, I'd never even seen one till today and I think it looks great! (this was a silver DC5 with chromish alloys (18's I think?) at the dartford tolls at around 6pm today)

I was planning to look at a 2000 model itr next week but before I do what are the chances of insuring a DC5 at 21??? if it is impossible would It be better for me to buy a 2000< model(what are these ones refered to as? :oops:) and then later on upgrade to a DC5? and how many owners on here have went from the older ITR? can anyone tell me the main differences between them?

Thanks for your time! :)

Tom.

scaryprowler

Advanced Member
Hi Tom!

Im an ex-older shape Integra owner (known as a DC2). There are a few differences between the two. Fundamentally, I have found the DC5 to be a lot 'smoother' than the DC2, which is a raw, stripped-out road racer. The engine in the DC2 (B18C) is fantastic, no i-VTEC so when the VTEC power-band kicks in you get a terrific banshee scream and pull when you hit 5-6K RPM all the way upto nearly 10K!!! More creature comforts in the DC5. More parts (both aftermarket and Honda) available for the DC2. TBH, I could go on for ages. Your best bet is to get yourself a test drive - you will not be disappointed by either of the two; just the insurance my friend! You will find it very hard to get insured on a DC5 at your age, altho it is do-able. I understand that 'Holmesy' is of 19/20yrs of age and insured on a DC5!

BTW - if and when mastered, RWD is more fun and more rewarding!

JOM

Advanced Member
Sounds like it was Holmesy you spotted at the Dartford tolls.

Might be worth asking him about insurance, as he is a youngster.

James

Tommy D

Thanks for the replys, lol I guess when I was saying 'more fun' I was hoping you'd all say 'yes it is' to convince me fwd is better! haha no worries though! :lol: I think for me a rwd car is just too tempting to floor on the bends so I figure I step up power wise first then change to rwd.

Anyway I think i'll still go for the test drive next week in the DC2 and maybe try to go to see a DC5 in the same day would be quite good to test drive the cars back to back. Just seems to be very few dealers that actually have them!

Hopefully Holmesy will read this thread!

Cheers

Tom.

MindMorgue

Insurance seems to vary so much from person to person, I'd try ringing a few places (there's a list in one of the posts in the insurance section of DC5 friendly insurers) and see what quotes you can get.

Tommy D

Ok thanks I'll have a look now, Im actually 21 in october thats when I think i'll have a chance of insuring an import, but i've just tried adrian flux on a uk DC2 at my current age and it could not quote under £1300 which I didnt think was great as it would quote on an s14a 200sx for £1150 if anything I'd have thought the DC2 would have been cheaper?

Elephant will only quote at 21+ and that seems to be around the £1100 mark, I think If I can find a company around that time that will quote a DC5 for under 2k I may go for it.

Also does anyone have the performance figures for the DC2 and DC5? im not that interested in 0-60 times as I dont believe these are a great measure of a cars performance im more interested in 30-70 0-100 or even 30-100?

Thanks

Tom.

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Me... Me... It was me :D I've actually been spotted out there on the road. Sorry James - I was out of area visiting :wink:

Re. insurance, You'll be very hard pushed to insure a DC5 at that age (though someone has done it). PM Holmesy and ask his advice.

And we don't time these cars cos we're too busy driving them...

:oops: :oops: :oops: Actually it wasn't me - I was at Dartford Crossing at 6pm FRIDAY (Goddang it, now I HAVEN'T been spotted out there on the road)

rayray

Im 22 and tried most of the insurance companies posted on the insurance thread they all said 22+import+DC5= hhahahahahah ............NO! :evil:

the only way i got a quote is through norwich union as i have a policy with them already but they did stress that they do not normally quote

Happy hunting!

Ray

JOM

Advanced Member
Paul,

I didn't think it would have been you. Cannot see you with bling chrome wheels.

James

Holmesy

it was me!!!!! i was on me way back fom essex. and they are 19s and fully dipped chrome, good stuff too i hit a kerb the other morning on me way to work still a bit tired, and it left concrete on the wheel which wiped off leaving no marks. worth every penny they are certainly tough little buggers.

Anyone ringing norwich union for insurance quotes stipulate that you want their imports department, they have the DC5 listed and will help you.