Springs or coilovers

jay.dee

Advanced Member
Chaps

Got a snapped Tanabe GF210 front spring (14 yrs old) - still sits ok though. New set nearly £300 (sure I bought 'em for £100 back then)

Considering the age of the shocks (15yrs never changed) which gets through MOT each year via the bounce and rock test, as I have to pull the suspension apart is it worth replacing the shocks at the same or going for some budget coils?

Or keep the shocks till they go and get adjustable sleeve coils such as Skunk's? http://www.tegiwaimports.com/select-car/honda/dc5/suspension/skunk2-adjustable-sleeve-coilovers-02-04-honda-integra-dc5-type-r.html

Economics tell me that just to replace even just the front 2 shocks would be close on £500 and that's from Burn M'sport (haven't bothered costing with Honda) - so already on the way towards coilover territory.

Hardly tracking the car, just occasional use on my days off work so full blown coils would be a tad wasted.

Addendum -- found since some nameless lowering springs in the loft but still seeing the options

Thanks

spooke

Advanced Member
For £500 you're looking at 6TWO1 coilovers which I think would be an upgrade from OEM - it depends how close to OEM ride height they can get so you don't need camber arms etc.

Personally if I were you I wouldn't bother with new OEM :)

Fez

Advanced Member
Demon tweeks sell Bilstein front shocks much cheaper than oem, (ep3 fitment iirc) and from what i've read they are a good upgrade. (Not sure if good upgrade over brand new oem shock, or just a good upgrade over 15 yearold ones lol)

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
spooke said:
Personally if I were you I wouldn't bother with new OEM :)
Whys that bud? New oem shock was the best decision i made on my refresh. Theres no way you could get a budget coilover to have the same longevity and quality of an oem shock. :)

spooke

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Whys that bud? New oem shock was the best decision i made on my refresh. Theres no way you could get a budget coilover to have the same longevity and quality of an oem shock. :)
I agree that new shocks would feel great, but I'd go for the extra adjustability. Probably not but they will last long enough and can be rebuilt again and again.

Spoon_Sports_Europe

Parts Trader
After having a few DC5's I would stick with OEM suspension with springs unless spending a lot of money or being track focusses. Most recently I bought a DC5 with D2 coil overs on it, not matter of fettling and adjustment would make the car ride and handle comfortably. Eventually replace with OEM dampers and springs and the car was a joy to drive again. The flip side is if you start to look at spending more than a grand on kit like Ohlins DFV and Nitron then you realise you get what you pay for.

adam.

Advanced Member
I would avoid cheap (say, ~£500-700) coilovers at all costs.

Bilstein suspension is incredible for our terrible roads. I have the B16 PSS9 kit, and it's amazing. It's firm for sure, but not crashy or knocky. It's so much more composed than the fidgety setup I had of standard shocks with shortened Eibach springs.

I would absolutely replace the standard shocks with Bilstein B6/B8 (?) items as a more 'value' upgrade, as Fez mentioned.

jay.dee

Advanced Member
Thanks so far for the responses - as Burn and Alex say above, it's a bit false economy for cheapo coils, and the longevity doesn't seem to come close to oem shocks based on my forum searches. I think the way ahead would be to replace the snapped spring with the bargain offer from MaxVR6 above (nod wink) and uprate the shock with Bils when they do go completely.

spooke

Advanced Member
Personally I think it's a bit of a misconception, I'm really happy with my MeisterR's and many other people are, other brands like BC are reviewed well, D2 on the other hand aren't. Lowering springs don't even compare to "budget" coilovers, but at least your sorted now.

Linus27

Advanced Member
Bilstein B16 adjustable coilovers is my next big purchase. Probably be next year though.

adam.

Advanced Member
Linus27 said:
Bilstein B16 adjustable coilovers is my next big purchase. Probably be next year though.
Mine live on the firmest setting tbh, I'd be interested to know the damping rates of the fixed B14, and where they sit in the B16's adjustment range.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Not sure of the actual damping rate but the spring rate on the B14 is 6.1F/ 12.7R which is near perfect for the rear being double the front.
I am very happy with mine compared to the previous BC Racing I had, and I don't really miss having the damping rate adjustability.
The BC were set to almost fully soft and left there for the 7 years I ran them but the spring rate wasn't right at 8F/ 10R.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
adamlstr said:
I would avoid cheap (say, ~£500-700) coilovers at all costs.

Bilstein suspension is incredible for our terrible roads. I have the B16 PSS9 kit, and it's amazing. It's firm for sure, but not crashy or knocky. It's so much more composed than the fidgety setup I had of standard shocks with shortened Eibach springs.

I would absolutely replace the standard shocks with Bilstein B6/B8 (?) items as a more 'value' upgrade, as Fez mentioned.
How much was the kit if you don't mind me asking?

With the B6/B8, you need EP3 parts don't you? Is it the same with the PSS9?

Thanks.

adam.

Advanced Member
I think the kit retails at about £1500.

You / I needed EP3 track rod ends and some 1mm washers for the rear shocks.

Slight annoyance is that the adjusters are on the bottom at the front, and on the top at the rear.

MrRy

Advanced Member
Echo the above, for quality nothing will best OEM. Not sure with the DC5 but Showa make the DC2 dampers and they are an awesome make. Bilstien, Ohlins, etc are on the same level.

The best middle ground is the mugen suspension. Around £550+import fees IIRC. A bargain. And if I knew how cheap they were, I would have probably not bothered entertaining Yellowspeed (or Meister) and go down this route again. Still might.

My Mugen Golds on the DC2 were epic.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Bilstein B14 set up is around £850 for the kit then as per the B16 you need ep3 tie rod ends and the washers. They re-use the oem top mounts.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
If i was fitting coilovers to a road car id go for the bilsteins that luke runs.

Dampening adjustment really doesnt matter for the road as most people will run coils full soft any way.

The bilstein spring rate are spot on, as luke mentioned. Rear rate is double the front which follows the same ratio as the oem springs (something like 3.5k and 7k for oem)

So the oem characteristics should remain but be firmer when running a lowered height and be better for the occasional track session.

I spec'd my nitrons with custom rates which were alot firmer but their 'off the shelf' kit comes with 7k/14k (spec'd by tgm) which also folows the oem spring rate ratio

hamks18psi

Advanced Member
I am new to DC5 and not good at suspension and GEO stuff. I normally focused on performance upgrade when I was young.
Talked to a friend who works in Tokico Suspension in USA, he said Honda car like JDM DC5 Type-R is a very well equipped car from stock.
Changing the stock suspension to something else would not give you any better. I cannot argue with him because he was one of top engineers in that field and hobby at car racing in track days.

I think I need to think carefully and target at replacing the old stuff by the new OEM parts, in order to keep the joy ride.
Sure it is tempting to try something that can be adjusted so I can get the feeling about "Yeah, I am tuning it".
However, I still think keeping the original setup or OEM replacement on any Type-R cars is a wise choice for newbies like me.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
adamlstr said:
I think the kit retails at about £1500.

You / I needed EP3 track rod ends and some 1mm washers for the rear shocks.

Slight annoyance is that the adjusters are on the bottom at the front, and on the top at the rear.
Thanks mate.