Springs

CrouchyM

Looking at springs for my facelift DC5, could people post pictures of what they have.

I wanted to get the Eibach Pro springs but seen a few people not happy with the reverse rake.

Thanks

ste01

Advanced Member
Pretty sure for facelift the only easily available way is to use spoon springs, unless you change the shocks or try the random makes like RS-R etc you find on RHDJapan and Nengun

CrouchyM

ste01 said:
Pretty sure for facelift the only easily available way is to use spoon springs, unless you change the shocks or try the random makes like RS-R etc you find on RHDJapan and Nengun
I didn‘t realise aftermarkets springs would be different for a facelift! That‘s annoying.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
That all depends on if your car is actually rocking FL shocks, check if the springs wind the same way or opposite, if opposite you have FL shocks and springs.

CrouchyM

maxvr6 said:
That all depends on if your car is actually rocking FL shocks, check if the springs wind the same way or opposite, if opposite you have FL shocks and springs.
I think I do yeah, I remember looking at them and thinking they look weird. My car is completely standard and only been imported 2 years.

BataLeon

Advanced Member
CrouchyM said:
Looking at springs for my facelift DC5, could people post pictures of what they have.

I wanted to get the Eibach Pro springs but seen a few people not happy with the reverse rake.

Thanks
Ok this is what I learnt about Eibach springs.

Sportlines, the rear looks low.
http://imgur.com/6N9Fx3Ul

Sportlines on the front, Pro-kit on the rear. I think it looks spot on now.
http://imgur.com/MB3OY6l

CrouchyM

BataLeon said:
Ok this is what I learnt about Eibach springs.

Sportlines, the rear looks low.

Sportlines on the front, Pro-kit on the rear. I think it looks spot on now.
http://imgur.com/MB3OY6l
But I would need preface lift shocks for that, they won‘t work with my facelift shocks unfortunately.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hi all,

Spoon springs are known for jumping out of their seats, can anyone describe when this happens and how please?

If I turn my steering on full lock left or right it makes a noise similar to a plank of wood snapping, would this be the springs jumping out of their seats?

Thanks.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Hi all,

Spoon springs are known for jumping out of their seats, can anyone describe when this happens and how please?

If I turn my steering on full lock left or right it makes a noise similar to a plank of wood snapping, would this be the springs jumping out of their seats?

Thanks.
This only happens on oem shocks, mugen shocks are shorter and so the spoon springs seat perfectly, the noise you‘re hearing is that noise they do on oem shocks mate, some get it some don‘t, ive never heard a hung on my setup but that‘s as they seat 100% on mugen shorter shocks.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Cheers Carl, so you reckon that's what's causing the noise? It sounds bloody awful tbh. It's going into Grinspeed in a few weeks so I'll get Stevie to have a look over it.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Cheers Carl, so you reckon that's what's causing the noise? It sounds bloody awful tbh. It's going into Grinspeed in a few weeks so I'll get Stevie to have a look over it.
Yeah when I was going to fit spoons to my oems I got lucky as John said he had some mugens so I drove up and we used them instead as it‘s apparently (from what I read and heard) the spring jumping in the Seat slightly. Some have had it and others not and it‘s only on full lock normally, could be they are not seated correctly. Also do you have the plastic stoppers to stop the spring coils hitting one another

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Yeah when I was going to fit spoons to my oems I got lucky as John said he had some mugens so I drove up and we used them instead as it‘s apparently (from what I read and heard) the spring jumping in the Seat slightly. Some have had it and others not and it‘s only on full lock normally, could be they are not seated correctly. Also do you have the plastic stoppers to stop the spring coils hitting one another
Not sure re the plastic stoppers I'm afraid bud, haven't got a clue.

Could the jumping be causing potential handling issues then?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Not sure re the plastic stoppers I'm afraid bud, haven't got a clue.

Could the jumping be causing potential handling issues then?
The rumour I heard of them jumping / coming out of their seat so to speak was only when on slow full lock cornering, so no idea if this could be the same as what you're experiencing mate

Maybe worth jacking it up, wheels off and seeing if anything feels or looks loose and maybe try moving the spring (odds are it wont move until it has weight against it though typically)

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Yes that's pretty much what I'm experiencing, I'll get Stevie to have a look at in a few weeks see what he finds.

Thanks mate.