Squeek after gear change

User

Advanced Member
Really feckin annoying!

Car is squeeking from the engine bay area shortly after changing gear. It's not the clutch because it doesn't squeek at standstill, only when moving and in gear.

It's when changing gear - a squeek when I press the clutch and a squeek when I lift it, but there's a bit of a delay, it's not the clutch, it's something squeeking because the engine is moving in the engine bay I think. I thought maybe an engine mount, but they seem fine.

Then I thought maybe it's the flexi joint squeeking on the manifold, but i've soaked that in WD40 and it's still there. It's a TODA manifold one piece 4 2 1.

Then I thought maybe it's the radiator shifting around as the engine moves in the bay, so I soaked the mounts in WD40 also - and it's still there.

Then I thought maybe it's the Gruppe M, rubbing against the scoop tray thingy, but it wasn't.

Then I WD40's all the exhaust rubbers - no luck again.

When I find out what it is I'm going to thrash it with great vengeance - Basil from Fawlty Towers style. Any ideas?

Duncs

you seemed to have covered all the obvious ones, sounds like a engine mount, what about a mount under the engine/gearbox?
have a look at the manual to see whats around

mikegsi

Staff member
from the symptons i would say it is obviously as the engine is moving, so in my opinion the next course of action would be to check the engine mounts. :wink:

User

Advanced Member
It has gotta be a mount, It can't be anything else.

I'll get under it again weekend and give the mounts a proper blast with some silicon spray. Failing that i'll just have to live with it till it makes itself more obvious.

I'm losing sleep over this. :cry:

User

Advanced Member
Well, it aint the engine mounts, all 4 are tight.

The squeek does coincide with engaging and releasing the clutch, just after the clutch biting or releasing.

But it also squeeks under engine braking - imagine engine braking and you hit some bumps - it squeeks then too.

It doesnt squeek though in neutral just pressing the clutch in and out.

B$^$£%^!!!!!!

:evil:

Livvy

Advanced Member
Could be the clutch master cylinder, as i know they changed quite a lot on the Civic due to this.

User

Advanced Member
Erm, slightly embarassing but I've solved it.

It was in fact the Gruppe M. :oops: :oops:

Two parts (the carbon box itself and a plastic part that feeds into the rubber inlet hose) are held together with a metal strap. The metal strap allows the two parts to move around just a few mm because obviously when you're on and off the throttle - there needs to be a bit of give.

Well, I took the bleeding thing apart and noticed score lines inside the metal strap - smeared some oil on the strap and hey presto - no more squeek.

DIE SQUEEK DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah it's sheer bliss now. I got a great night sleep last night too, even our 6 month old baby girl slept like a log.

:D

It was all worth it though - i've found so many heatshields/nuts/bolt/brackets lose around the car it's untrue. Hard suspension on these cars does loosen stuff!

Cheers chaps.