SQUIRM uNDER HARD BRAKING

dan the man

Advanced Member
So as im getting to know the car more now and been doing some 'enjoyable' driving on the roads around here ive noticed when i really lean on the brembo's the back has a right squirm and wanders all over the show, never goes to far just side to side but although ill get used to it ill like solutions and has anyone else had this?

thinking spoon springs but also thinking more tyre pressure as the kumhos i have on are soft and do wander....ill try tyre presure now i think and see how she behaves.... :? :wink:

DTM

T666YPR

Mine wags it's arse. :lol:

It didn't like the approach to "Quarry" after "Avon Rise" at CC either,scared the bejesus out of me a few times.

Zero7

Advanced Member
Dan,

Mine wags a little too and I do like to press on the brakes, hence why I said the back did not feel as planted in the dc2 v's dc5 thread. I'm going to go for lowered and slightly firmer springs to see if this helps.

dan the man

Advanced Member
FAIR ENOUGH thats how they are i can deal with it!

4pots must really outpower the backs etc... :!:

but still loving her, wobbky arse and all 8)

truffs

dan the man said:
So as im getting to know the car more now and been doing some 'enjoyable' driving on the roads around here ive noticed when i really lean on the brembo's the back has a right squirm and wanders all over the show, never goes to far just side to side but although ill get used to it ill like solutions and has anyone else had this?

thinking spoon springs but also thinking more tyre pressure as the kumhos i have on are soft and do wander....ill try tyre presure now i think and see how she behaves.... :? :wink:

DTM
Slow down :?: :!: :?: :lol: :lol:

dan the man

Advanced Member
truffs said:
dan the man said:

DTM

DIK :xsmachbottom: DONT BE DAFT :!:

:wink:

mikegsi

Staff member
truffs said:
dan the man said:

DTM

says the man with a 300bhp turbo'd itr!! :wink: :D

dan the man

Advanced Member
:lol:

been back out in it again tonight and squirm was less aparent so dunno...or maybe im used to it..

all i know is the evo4 got outbraked and outclassed by me and the scarlet lady...... :!: :wink:

(entirely fictional comment i just made up :| :p )

DTM

matt b

Advanced Member
My car squirms a little under very hard braking but think the road surface can play a major facor sometimes?

scaryprowler

Advanced Member
matt b said:
My car squirms a little under very hard braking but think the road surface can play a major facor sometimes?
What he ^^^ said :) I think with the transition of more weight to the front under braking, the back end of course gets lighter... this coupled with rubbish road surfaces tends to make it a little skittish. I dont get it on track!

dan the man

Advanced Member
but just to back up a bit..DC2 NEVER did this on same roads, always controlled and efficient braking...

think the brembos outbrake the rears on dc5?????

dan

jonster

Advanced Member
I found from new that the hand-brake was useless on the DC5 and had to be notched up quite a bit before it held the car on a hill. I assumed that it was just design that way and never thought anything of it. I also assumed that the foot brake applied considerable more force to the rear discs then applied. I've only recently had the rear pads and discs replaced with a slightly used 2nd hand OEM set of each and the hand brake works really well now. The discs needed repalcing because they caused the car to fail it's first MOT (at 40k miles) because that were rusting on the outer edges and were pitted.

In either case I've never had the braking squirm described here before. Having said that I have made my car ligher and I don't brake heavily anyway.

The point of all this waffle is that you may need to check the state of the rear pads and discs more often than you think.

Jon

dan the man

Advanced Member
jonster said:
In either case I've never had the braking squirm described here before. Having said that I have made my car ligher and I don't brake heavily anyway.

err.....dont brake heavily :| ...whats all that about :? :lol:

jonster

Advanced Member
I engine brake so I don't have to take the foot of the gas pedal. Haven't worked out this heel and toe business yet :)

dan the man

Advanced Member
jonster said:
I engine brake so I don't have to take the foot of the gas pedal. Haven't worked out this heel and toe business yet :)
EH.... u cant surely engine brake in every situation, and heel and toe dosent keep u on the gas, it just keeps things smooth when downshifting.

anyway each to there own and hope u dont follow me around the ring :lol: