SR Intake Gold Foil Wrap

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone done this before and data logged the before and after effects?

I'm really wanting to do my SR to help with the heat ingestion from the exhaust. I've looked at exhaust wrapping and its expensive if done correctly so protecting the intake from heat seems a relatively inexpensive DIY process that could yield noticeable benefits.

If you've never done it but know where to buy the material then please hola.

Thanks Guys and Gals

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Wrapping the exhaust manifold isn't that expensive, 2 x Tegiwa Exhaust Wrap (I found 1 not to be enough) and lots of the clamps they sell (I went for 20) for not a huge amount of money. It is a time consuming (took me a whole evening) job and not a particularly enjoyable job, very itchy, if you wet the wrap then everything gets soaked and its fiddly.

I'll need to get some pictures of mine up before I fit it , but the benefits should be good.

Surely the issue with your K&N Short Ram is that the filter is getting hot air as oppose to the pipe work getting hot and thus heating the air. I'm sure gold wrapping the pipe work will have a positive result but I doubt how beneficial it will really be as the air been drawn in is still hot.

As for where to buy gold foil, I'm sure JJC Race & Rally or Demontweeks will sell it, I'm considering it for my for my ARC intake, just the bottom and engine side as the air draws on it are well away from anywhere hot and my exhaust manifold will be wrapped, so in theory it should be beneficial.

Hope this helps.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Top man, thank you for your post. I've just ordered the 2" x 15 feet reel :D

Might even consider an exhaust wrap as well!

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
I'll get some pictures of mine tonight, it's not literally difficult, just fiddly.

And comparing costs of the wrap to the gold foil, there isn't much in it.

For you given you SR, reducing engine bay temperatures is more important than trying to prevent heat soaking if that makes sense.

Do you have a heat shield fitted between the Sr and the exhaust manifold?

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I've got the gruppeM shield and scuttle mod from my previous intake and sold it on leaving those components. The SR cone sits nicely in there with a nice cold feed from scuttle but I wanted to wrap the intake pipe and the face of the heat shield. Every little helps ;)

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Here you go, not bad for one evening work. Be good to see how you get on with yours.

I'm planning on buying more to wrap my exhaust too, hotter exhausts flow better, and I'm hoping it might help keep some of the noisy down out of the car a bit.

I don't think the gold foil is a bad idea, think its a good idea to be honest, I just think its bit like weeing in the wind until you can get the under bonnet temps down. Like you say, ever little helps, hence why I might do the ARC.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the pics and inspiration :) got the gold foil arriving before weekend hopefully so I'll get some pics and a data log up.

I may end up giving the mani wrap job to someone like grinspeed though to save me some time but your effort looks top notch!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
So i finally got round to fitting the gold leaf wrap to the intake and heat shield this weekend. Thanks to Cali for help!

So we did a pre-gold DL at 22c during early evening and took a route which involved cold start, 30/40mph part throttle runs, 50/60mph part throttle runs with some low gear/high RPM stints and some VTEC upto 80mph both 3rd and 4th gear pulls. Route took about 40mins and we saw a consistent relationship between engine coolant temps and intake temps throughout the run often showing temps like 100F intake and 180F engine or 108F intake and 197F engine and so on.

After fitting removing the intake and heat shield and applying the wrap we our outside temps had dropped by 3C over 1.5hrs so we didnt DL and left it to the following day. Waiting 24hrs we waiting for the magic 22C and carried out the identical route from cold start carrying out the identical speeds and revs as before.

Our results showed that the lower the engine temp or MPH and little difference maybe 1F lower. The 30/40 showed 3F difference and the 50/60 showed 6F improvement. When we got to the 80MPH run we were now seeing an 9F improvement for example our 197F engine was now only a 99F intake

It's unfortunate that we didnt do a base DL with 100MPH and maybe some hard A road driving as if the multiplying factor continues to strengthen as we see from 30 to 80MPH and engine temps we could see even more of an improvement!

Next steps will be to wrap the hot water pipe which sits directly under the intake pipe to see how this reduces the intake temps further and then maybe even a ceramic coating on the buddyclub manifold but all steps will be done one at a time along with same route at 22C.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Fantastic work and some very interesting results. Appreciate you taking the time to put that up.

Be interesting to see how wrapping the exhaust manifold changes things?

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Wingnuttzz said:
Fantastic work and some very interesting results. Appreciate you taking the time to put that up.

Be interesting to see how wrapping the exhaust manifold changes things?
Seconded. Nice one Dan xthumbup

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Next step will be wrap on small part of coolant pipe near the intake hose. Hope to see some improvements there alone before moving onto the entire manifold. Watch this space :)

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
OK so tonight I managed to complete stage 2 by wrapping the water pipe under the intake pipe and a sneaky air feed from the nearside headlight. I've done a DL but air temp was a little cooler at 19.5 than previous runs so probably not a fair test so I will post up once we reach 22c again, hopefully again this year : /

Stage 3 coming soon.....