Stage 2 cams

2ndy

Advanced Member
Was wondering if anyone on here has upgraded to stage 2 cams? In the middle of buying bits and pieces and would like skunk2 stage 2s, Hoping to talk to someone who has done it before!

Jonnyteg

Advanced Member
You would be better with Drag Cartel Cams, they do various options, I opted for drop in cams they don't require uprated springs, really perform like other brand stage 2 cams. For a bit more power the 2.1 cams are excellent a lad on here was running them with headwork etc at 300bhp NA.

2ndy

Advanced Member
How come the drug cartel are better than skunk2? I've already got upgraded valve springs and retainers so wanting to go a bit further than drop ins and don't really mind if it effects my idle etc as the ITBs have already ruined that

Chewy

Advanced Member
Having no experience in this myself, I've also heard there's plenty others out there better than the Skunk2.

TDI have done tests on the dyno showing better gains using Toda or their own developed drop-in cams over Skunk2.

I personally am interested in the Buddy Club N+ spec cams, Which would be good to hear about if anyone has any experience?

2ndy

Advanced Member
That would be over skunk2 drop in cams I think but I've no interest in them, think it's definitely going to be stage 2 for me.

It's hard to get any opinion on most as it's not something that's commonly used over here as most people will just go for what suppliers over here sell, Americans love the skunk2 stuff though but I think they ruined their reputation a bit with the early cams

Buddyclub won't be common over here but you can be certain they'll be a great set of cams to use!

Any cams I see say to use upgraded valve springs and retainers but don't say which... I've a brand new set of skunk 2 valve springs and titanium retainers so I'd obviously like to use those

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
2ndy said:
That would be over skunk2 drop in cams I think but I've no interest in them, think it's definitely going to be stage 2 for me.

It's hard to get any opinion on most as it's not something that's commonly used over here as most people will just go for what suppliers over here sell, Americans love the skunk2 stuff though but I think they ruined their reputation a bit with the early cams

Buddyclub won't be common over here but you can be certain they'll be a great set of cams to use!

Any cams I see say to use upgraded valve springs and retainers but don't say which... I've a brand new set of skunk 2 valve springs and titanium retainers so I'd obviously like to use those
But since when do Americans slate anything that comes out of their own back yard? 😂

Also interrested in hearing more about cam upgrades.

2ndy

Advanced Member
Chrismartin said:
But since when do Americans slate anything that comes out of their own back yard?
Also interrested in hearing more about cam upgrades.
Yea that's true actually haha

Looking into the drag cartel 002.2s now, there's almost too many options. Would like it all sorted before my next track day in March so I have a bit of time anyway

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
comparison on some cams

k20a2-
Intake duration 302* / 12.27mm Lift
exhaust duration 305* / 10.95mm Lift

k20
Intake duration 320* / 12.27mm Lift
Exhaust duration 318*/ 10.77mm Lift

FD2
Intake duration 283* / 11.7mm Lift
Exhaust duration 276*/ 10.1mm Lift

toda a3
Intake cam: Duration 295in / 13.0mm Lift
Exhaust cam: Duration 290ex / 12.5mm Lift

Cartel 2.2 Endurance Specs:
Intake: .266° Duration @ .050 / 13.5mm Lift
Exhaust: .260° Duration @ .050 / 12.2mm Lift

pulpmelon_r

Advanced Member
Be aware, without extra compression or capacity, bigger cams will simply move your power band over to the right.

A stage 1 / Drop in, is all you will really need on a stock motor.