Stained alloys

Kyletyper

Advanced Member
Hi guys

My alloys had a few marks on them so I got told to use wonder wheels and it should sort it out. I use this product on my alloys and it has made them worse by the looks of it. Can anyone suggest the best product to get rid of these marks with out having a refurb.

http://imageshack.us/f/607/imageyxz.jpg/

Thanks

Zani

Advanced Member
Id always useh Auto Glym Super Resin Polish before going to wonder wheels... as from what I know wonder wheels is an acid? And it even says in the instructions not to leave on the wheel for too long

Bonito

Advanced Member
As above I think wonder wheels is an acid based wheel cleaner. Have you tried steam cleaning them and then seal them?

Kyletyper

Advanced Member
No buddy I haven't ill have to see if I can get hold of a steam cleaner and give that a go I just can't believe I used it i'll never touch that stuff again

davidpingu

Advanced Member
You could try an abrasive to lift the stains and get back to the good paint?

If it was me I'd try megs deep crystal cleaner first if it's only light staining but you may have more luck with ultimate compound. Some sort of paint filler like the poorboys and a wheel sealant on top would be a good move if you rescue them.

I use the meguires wheel cleaner and it's brilliant stuff. Ironx is also supposed to be excellent on white wheels

Kyletyper

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
You could try an abrasive to lift the stains and get back to the good paint?
If it was me I'd try megs deep crystal cleaner first if it's only light staining but you may have more luck with ultimate compound. Some sort of paint filler like the poorboys and a wheel sealant on top would be a good move if you rescue them.
I use the meguires wheel cleaner and it's brilliant stuff. Ironx is also supposed to be excellent on white wheels
thanks buddy where can I get megs from?

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I always use amazon or eBay but if you're in a hurry try Halfords or a local motor factor.

If you do go for the ultimate compound it's meant to be awesome but go easy with it to begin with ;)

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
Try a normal polish first, usually does the trick for me :) I have some iron-x that I am going to try on the weekend so will report back as to how well it works.

Kyletyper

Advanced Member
CaLi said:
Try a normal polish first, usually does the trick for me :) I have some iron-x that I am going to try on the weekend so will report back as to how well it works.
Thanks mate thAt would be a big help

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
if none of the above work, I would try some ultimate compound, that stuff is designed to remove oxidisation and fallout etc, I think it would whip that off in a few hard rubs.

H105Daz

Advanced Member
I shifted the stains on my alloys with Cillit Bang (purple one) and a bit of elbow grease. Shifts those thread like stains well. Always clean and re-apply a resin polish after tho ... :xyes:

Kyletyper

Advanced Member
Thanks guys for all your input its been a big help the wheels are coming off in a week or so and will be able to sort them out

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Cillit Bang... ha ha, doesn't that stuff contain a really aggressive acid?

I would refrain from using it on lacquered wheels, it will actually remove the lacquer if you leave it on long enough.
But imagine that's probably how it removed the stain, quick and easy, but not the best idea Daz.

Best thing is some sort of polishing compound (or acid free cleaner like Iron X), rather than an acid based product. Will take longer with a compound, but you wont be risking stripping off the lacquer.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
PORTHOS said:
Cillit Bang... ha ha, doesn't that stuff contain a really aggressive acid?

I would refrain from using it on lacquered wheels, it will actually remove the lacquer if you leave it on long enough.
But imagine that's probably how it removed the stain, quick and easy, but not the best idea Daz.

Best thing is some sort of polishing compound (or acid free cleaner like Iron X), rather than an acid based product. Will take longer with a compound, but you wont be risking stripping off the lacquer.
Porthos and ultimate compound are inseparable. I'm sure he brushes his teeth with the stuff :D

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
davidpingu said:
Porthos and ultimate compound are inseparable. I'm sure he brushes his teeth with the stuff :D
Ha ha, no man I use Sensodyne - Gentle Whitening :xgrin:

Anyway I said polishing compound, not ultimate compound in that post :p

H105Daz

Advanced Member
No where near as aggressive as some alloy wheel cleaners acidity wise.... Cillit Bang doesn't say "You must rinse off after two minutes or else" etc like some alloy wheel cleaners.
Cillit Bang £1.29 does a sterling job .... Posh wheel cleaner £20 might not do the job. Simple economics. :xyes:

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
H105Daz said:
No where near as aggressive as some alloy wheel cleaners acidity wise.... Cillit Bang doesn't say "You must rinse off after two minutes or else" etc like some alloy wheel cleaners.
Cillit Bang £1.29 does a sterling job .... Posh wheel cleaner £20 might not do the job. Simple economics. :xyes:
The Cillit Bang grease and floor is OK to use on alloy wheels apparently.

http://www.cillitbang.co.uk/products-grease-and-floor.php

Not sure which one you use? But it even says on the website which ones can be used on car wheels/rims which are the following:

Cillit Bang - Power Cleaner Grease and Sparkle - For Wheel RIMS
Power Cleaner Grease and Floor - For Wheels

I see a lot of people use them on bare metal alloy wheel rims, that's fine because they aren't painted.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/archive/index.php/t-12033.html

A lot of people forget that painted alloy wheels are no different to your paintwork and I'm not sure you would clean your whole car with Cillit Bang...

None of them are recommended for washing your car, and your wheels are no different to your paintwork.

I'm sure its fine for quick use like you say, but I wouldn't suggest it to others as they may leave it on to soak! lol.

H105Daz

Advanced Member
Yes, that one .... although I use the handspray bottle not the neat bleach like jollop which may cause some damage if left on.

You are correct tho, I wouldn't use it on bodywork.

Kyletyper

Advanced Member
Finally got some iron x to fix the state of my front alloys and all I can say is wow a fabulous product all the stain have now gone :) with little effort needed I was shocked thanks guys for all your suggestions