Stainless braided hoses

Gary

Advanced Member
Can anyone give some advice as to whether fittin a set of SS brake hoses is a worthwhile investment for a fast road only car :?:

CleRICK

Advanced Member
It will give you a more direct feel to your brakes, i dont think it will help the car stop/slow any better than it already does.

kingston

Advanced Member
The ss hoses will prevent heat getting to the rubber tubes (im assuming theyre rubber as ive not looked) which in turn will prevent air bubbles getting into tubes (due to evaporation or whatever you want to call it). However, this sort of thing would only happen at a track day or a race so would only be a cosmetic thing.

Evs

Advanced Member
I thought the main benefit was that they are stiffer and resist expanding under pressure - so when you press the pedal, more of your energy finds its way to the calipers instead of going to waste stretching the rubber hoses.

I've fitted Goodridge ones to previous cars - Strada Abarth and Golf Mk1 16v - and found them to be a worthwhile mod as it does make the pedal feel firmer and the brakes more responsive, even in everyday road use.

Personally I think the DC5 brakes feel a bit 'wooden' and this might address that. I've got some Spoon ones for my DC5 which I haven't fitted yet - part of my large collection of 'attic jewellery' :oops:

Duncs

made a significant improvment to my GTiR and is on my list for DC5 but as usual we will pay through the nose because its a honda, i paid £60 for a set of 4 for my Nissan,

Evs

Advanced Member
Duncs said:
as usual we will pay through the nose because its a honda
Hmm... Don't you think £280 for a Spoon set is quite reasonable really? :shock: :lol:

IIRC TGM can make them up, I can't remember the price he mentioned but it was a LOT cheaper than Spoon.

Evs

Advanced Member
They are though aren't they?

They work OK when you really stand on them, but the ratio of pedal force to retardation seems non-linear, so in reasonably gentle braking you need to press harder than you think you should need to.

The DC2 probably couldn't generate as much outright retardation but the feel was much more linear. Just one of those anoraky things that makes it such a magic car to drive.

T666YPR

My brakes are better now I have Mugen braided hoses and slotted rotors. 8)

For the price of some Goodridge ones,I don't see why not fit them,as the price/performance is worth it,even just for fast road.

CoreEng

I have Mugen braided hoses fitted on my car and the braking distance etc... is alot better (when fitting it is better to use mugen or spoon or anyother comp brake pads (i have spoon).

aself66

Advanced Member
"The hoses are braided stainless with a ptfe lining"

oh i didnt know. teflon eh? you say?

iDrew

Advanced Member
Aeroquip said:
These factory assembled brake hoses are manufactured from the same Speed - Flex stainless steel braid - protected, extruded teflon hose that is the standard of the racing industry, using crimp and swedged permanently installed hose ends. All hoses are tested to 4000 PSI

f1nal zeros

Advanced Member
I have Stoptech SS line with silicon coating, to think this material is in half of hollywood girls tits. hahahah
Lines make the peddle feel stiffer, and braking is not really improved but during track days I really noticed the difference. :)