standard air box mod

dp9901

Advanced Member
was looking on the civic type r forum and came across a mod to the standard air box looks like they cut a part out and some ribs off.has anyone done this on here i presume the air boxes are the same for civic/dc5

dp9901

Advanced Member
JCW do you have any pics what it looks like after being modded.also on that link it doesnt show the piece that sits above the square hole does this get removed totally?

dp9901

Advanced Member
thanks for that jcw.you said it was surplus to req would you sell it if so how much and does it come with the drop in filter :)

JCW

Advanced Member
no probs mate :) yes i could sell it, i would want £40 for it but i already sold the drop-in. only have the standard filter left i'm afraid.

dp9901

Advanced Member
did you notice any difference after doing the mod just wondered if it improved it in any way.also how did you cut it out and get it so smooth.

JCW

Advanced Member
used a piece of hacksaw blade with tape wrapped around the end for a handle and some kind of snips and a chisel for the ribs and lots of swearing :lol:

it increased induction noise, but it is very subtle.
also smoother delivery of power and slighty better throttle response.

dan the man

Advanced Member
i sold my ITG and now have a drop in..i might butcher my box.. :p

And i think the ITG gives more than anything throttle response, so much response and urge below vtec..but in vtec im not sure if much in it with a drop in..always hard to tell..oh yes and WEIGHT!

JCW

Advanced Member
love it mate..for all the reasons DTM gives...weight, looks, throttle response.. felt the difference straight away. would highly recommend the ITG to anyone :D

dotty

Advanced Member
JCW said:
love it mate..for all the reasons DTM gives...weight, looks, throttle response.. felt the difference straight away. would highly recommend the ITG to anyone :D
Glad it went to a good home. I love the Gruppe M mind you 8)

dazza

Advanced Member
Carried out this mod on mine this morning.
Went out and there was no negative effect, whether there's a gain, i'm not sure but still pulled very strongly 8) :D

I have an idea of getting more cold air into the intake pipe which involves running a piece of flexible aluminium pipe down to a cooler part of the engine bay (Comptech icebox style)
Then conecting into the bottom of the intake pipe by cutting a hole in the bottom, thus keeping the original open end aswell.

Do you think this would have the effect i'm after?