Standard suspension life?

DC5Jack

Advanced Member
As per tile guys. What is the life of the standard suspension, how many miles roughly should they last?

I was thinking about adding some coil overs in near future but i've been looking through the forum and i've seen you guys raving about the Eibach Pro kits. My original shocks are on about 72000 miles now, they still feel really nice and tight and they aren't leaking but the top mounts are now starting to knock. I don't want to add the spring kit only to find i need to replace the shocks soon after.

I had a very bad experience with lowering springs on my EP3 (fitted by previous owner), they were far far to stiff and very low and kept bottoming out over the smallest of bumps and kept setting of my ABS sensors and I had to buy a new hub in the end.

I only want a small drop to get my DC5 sitting right and the Eibach kit seems perfect but as stated if the shocks will need replacing soon what is the cost of a new set of OEM shocks?

Jack

Steve_DC5

Advanced Member
depends how its driven and where, 72k is a lot on original oem dampers imo. Then if you lower it your decreasing the life again.

I am really not a fan of coilovers usually. BUT I bit the bullet and bought some Buddyclub N+ and have to say the ride quality and handling is superior to my previous setup. I was on OEM dampers and SKUNK2 springs, probably not the best springs but it went really well tbf to them.
Only changed due to 2 oem shocks going in the same week with less miles on then what yours has.

DC5Jack

Advanced Member
Thats what I was thinking and why I was edging towards the coil overs, but I don't want anything that's too harsh as the lowering springs absolutely ruined the ride on my EP3.

Anyone know the rough price on a set of top mounts and OEM shocks?

Jack

Steve_DC5

Advanced Member
Not sure on price of oem. I nearly went Bilstein B8s and ABP springs though! Bilsteins are excellent quality. But for the price I got the Buddyclubs N+ and what I use the car for that was ultimately the better option for me.

ABP were best price on the Bilsteins with springs. But need EP3 track rod ends and 4 washers to fit the rears ;)
Cant remember what the quote was now for the Bilsteins, think they were fairly cheap £640ish comes to mind. Then springs on top.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Oem suspension is very expensive, something crazy like £400 per shock I think or maybe that was a pair. Can't quite remember but I did get a quote a while back and it was pricey to say the least!

Think it was bilstein I concluded would be the nearest alternative as in like for like.

Interesting question though and I'd be interested to see what others think they will do when the time comes as quite a few favour the oem dampers. Not sure if a refurb is an option? I guess essentially all that fails are rubber seals?

Steve_DC5

Advanced Member
Mine never leaked when they went. If you pushed the piston down it would not come back out unless pulled.

Blistein b8 is defo an upgrade over Oem ;)

DC5RS

DC5
I am on standard suspensions, the ride is beautiful and i dont hit anything on the road due to its height. I preferred the tein springs though at corners. Whereas it was stiffer and hard to drive for a daily the difference with the tein springs was immense. THe OEm though is not a bashing kit, it works well and it doesnt let you down. Only downside i found is the way the car turns at corners, it just moves too much for its power. You dont find this issue when installing aftermarket springs,

my thread could help you find something close to OEM but with sportier feel :)
http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/32829-minimum-drop-on-suspension-springs/

DC5Jack

Advanced Member
Cheers for the replies guys. I had a feeling the OEM shocks were going to be expensive so I think i'll leave that idea.

Does anyone have a link to the Blistein B8's or a rough price. I had a quick look and couldn't find any thing. I need the top mounts doing soon so i'll take the car over to the boys at TDI to get the work done and while it's there i'll get them to have a look over the standard suspension and see what they think and see what options they've got for me

Jack

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Top mounts can be bought separately and they aren't too bad price wise if it's just those. Sometimes they can just be tightened up a bit temporarily too if you're set on saving for an upgrade.

DC5Jack

Advanced Member
Thanks Steve I'll give them a ring and see what they say.

My top mounts have been tightened up and they're still knocking nicely. Like I said I'll speak to the guys at TDI and see what my options are and get some prices.
They're not in desperate need of doing but I'd rather do them sooner than later. I learn my lesson the hard way and leaving my diff to long to be looked at

Jack

redcap

Advanced Member
Steve_DC5 said:
But need EP3 track rod ends and 4 washers to fit the rears ;)
Do you know if you can get DC5 specific rears? Or are the EP3 ones the only option with the EP3 bits?